New to SW tanks. Advice please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abiroad

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone. I am new to SW aquariums and am just looking for some guidance.

So far I have been going off of a few books I have read and the guidance of the LFS (which I often think are just trying to drain my wallet)

I have a 20g setup with a wet/dry filter for a 75g tank.

I let the tank cycle with one SW Molly, 20 lbs of live sand and 5 lbs of live rock.

Today I took a sample to my LFS an he said all my levels were great and granted me the go ahead to add fish and invertebrates.

By the guidance of the LFS I today added a immature clown fish. 1/2" long. 7 snails, 3 tiny hermits, a cleaner shrimp and a sand sifting sea star.

The original Molly remains, I haven't taken him back yet.

Today I just fed the SW flakes I had been feeding the Millie and everyone ate.

I am looking for any general advice and I have a few questions.

1. What kind of food/ what kind of feeding ritual should I prover with? Each individual should be fed differently?

2. Should I add another clown when I return the Molly?

3. What are some general maintenance routines/tips for continuing my aquatic endeavor?

Thank you!

Also! I have already spotted 2 bristle worms about an inch long each. Should I be concerned with these hitch hikers? I have read conflicting info onthem.

You should be feeding a variety of foods if you can. I use mysis and brine shrimp, lobster eggs and sometimes flakes. Feed only a very small amount every couple of days. (If its frozen cubes perhaps a half) clowns are good to get as a pair but as you have only had the one for a short time it should be ok. I would invest in your own liquid test kits so you can monitor your own water, don't always trust the store! And if you have any questions ask here, you will find loads of good advice ;) as for maintenance, you will be needing to top off (evaporation) with ro-di water when needed and weekly (some people do fortnightly) water changes. I do 20% but you could do 10% depends on your filtration and bio load...

Oh the bristle worms are fine, handy cleaners. Keep an eye on that sand sifting star, he is not going to last long in your new system, especially with your clean up crew he will not have enough to eat.

if you only do one thing- buy an API liquid test kit for yourself ;) A very fine tool to have

Thanks so much! I'm going to go pick up a variety of food and a test kit today. And swap out the Millie for another neuter clown so hopefully they'll pair up :)

My last question is when should I continue adding live rock? I have 5 lbs now and I have read I should have 20 lbs total. When should I add more? And does this still apply if i want to get into reefs eventually?

Thanks a lot!

One pound of live rock and one pound of luve sand is mininum when building a sw tank. Biological filter is important when trying to mimic the ocean. The more lr you have the more bacteria you have to help lower your ammonia which is toxic to fish. Amonia turns to nitrite and than to nitrate. You can get rid of nitrate with partial water changes. That will dilute the the concentrations of toxins in your tank. Bioballs in your wet dry will help if you are doing fowlr tanks.

Now that your tank is cycled you will need try and get fully cured live rock or base rock and watch your parameters wen you do. Maybe small amounts at a time?

Great thanks a lot for the advice! I got some frozen food and everyone seems to be happy and adjusted.

Add fish slowly to allow your beneficial bacteria to increase enough to offset the new bioload. As stated before that sand sifting star won't last long in a new 20 gal. IMHO I would return it to the LFS. For sure add more live rock but be careful as you may get a mini cycle now adding it. Good luck & keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom