Newbie dumb mistake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been testing my tank while it's cycling for ammo with the Salifert brand test kit. My ammonia box says "NH4". However, I read in another post that it is NH3 that is the concern. I've searched for a Salifert NH3 kit but can't find any. Also, the reagent for the NH4 kit says NH3???

Obviously I'm thoroughly confused at this point and am just going to go to bed!

havefun said:
I've been testing my tank while it's cycling for ammo with the Salifert brand test kit. My ammonia box says "NH4". However, I read in another post that it is NH3 that is the concern. I've searched for a Salifert NH3 kit but can't find any. Also, the reagent for the NH4 kit says NH3???

Obviously I'm thoroughly confused at this point and am just going to go to bed!

[center:29a46714ed]
ampt.jpg
[/center:29a46714ed]

Salifert's test tests for both.

Free ammonia (NH3-N) and ionized-ammonia (NH4+-N) represent two forms of reduced inorganic nitrogen which exist in equilibrium depending upon the pH and temperature of the waters in which they are found. Of the two, the free ammonia form is considerably more toxic to organisms such as fish and, therefore, we pay considerable attention to the relative concencentration of this particular contaminant. Lastly, this free ammonia is a gaseous chemical, whereas the NH4+ form of reduced nitrogen is an ionized form which remains soluble in water.

Yep, thats the box I have. So, plain and simple, is that giving me test results for the ammo I want to keep an eye on?

TIA

Yep, it's testing the stuff you need to watch during cycling.

(salifert isn't a US brand...reading their instructions can be painful, so it's not surprising they only refer to it at NH4. it is, however, a top-notch brand for test kits)

Back
Top Bottom