Newbie fishless cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the nitrate?
When was the last time you've dosed ammonia? How much did you raise it up to (in ppm)?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

0 nitrate. Dosed yesterday. Dr.tims protocol- 1 drop per gallon ammonia. Started August 5th with dr. Tims ammo is & one & only nitrifying bacteria

Odd thing is when I set up my tank ( before putting anything in except dechlorinator, my water was clear with my LED lights as well as acnitic. Now the water still looks fabulously clear with my LED but hazy with the acnitic

The zero nitrate sounds odd. Make sure that the reagent bottles are vigorous shaken as per directions (assuming you are using a liquid test kit).
After dosing ammonia, it might be a good idea to taking a measurement just to see what level you are starting at.
I've heard positive reviews on that product though I'm skeptical about most bacteria-in-a-bottle solutions. However, one would expect a higher nitrate value. It might be too soon at this point.

I shook it vigorously per API master test kit. Did it correctly

In that case, the nitrate is undetectable and this cycle has a way to go.
For fishless cycling, the ammonia is typically dosed to 2-4 ppm and not added again until the ammonia drops to zero. The Dr Tim's procedure may differ.

The Process:

Day 1 – dose ammonia to 2 ppm ammonia-nitrogen [NH3-N] using our ammonium chloride (1 drop per gallon) [NOTE: do not expect your test kit to exactly read 2 ppm and it is not critical to get exactly 2 ppm. The key is to not add too much ammonia]. If using DrTim’s Aquatics One & Only Live Nitrifying bacteria add it now (turn skimmer, UV and ozone off and remove filter socks for 48 hours).
Day 2 – Measure ammonia and nitrite.
Day 3 – If ammonia and nitrite are below 1 ppm add more ammonia. One drop of our ammonium chloride per gallon.
Days 4 & 5 – Measure ammonia and nitrite.
Day 6 – If ammonia and nitrite are below 1 ppm add 2 ppm ammonia. One drop of our ammonium chloride per gallon. [NOTE: since you have added the One & Only your ammonia kit will not read 2 ppm and DO NOT continue adding ammonia trying to get to 2 ppm – just add 2 ppm ammonia (1 drop per gallon of our ammonium chloride) and carry-on.
Days 7 & 8 – Measure ammonia and nitrite. On the first measurement day (Day 2, 4, 5, 7 or 8) that BOTH ammonia and nitrite are both below 0.5 ppm (NH3-N or NO2-N) your tank is close to being cycled.
Now start to measure ammonia and nitrite every day.
When BOTH ammonia and nitrite are below 0.2 ppm (NH3-N or NO2-N), add another 2 ppm ammonia.
Continue to measure every day. When you can add 2 ppm ammonia and BOTH ammonia and nitrite are below 0.2 ppm (NH3-N or NO2-N) the next day your tank is cycled – congrats! You’re done!
Do a partial water change and add some fish.

The process you've described looks ok for fishless cycling. The nitrifying bacteria product probably does nothing. I've never been a fan of it. Be patient, the nitrite spike and subsequent drop to zero followed by nitrate increase is your cue to get fauna. Add fishes in small batches, with fishes with large school requirements like tiger barbs coming later.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom