Newbie having problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ody

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I've had my 50l tank up and running throu cycle for 4 weeks added some turbo snail hermit crab and cleaner shrimp and anemonex2 put in two small fish today 1 wrasse and 1 yellow gobby and my anemone ate 1 of them not happy do these anemone do this

1st issue u got is. It's way to soon for anemones. 4 weeks is just the beginning still. Anemones need to go in established tanks. Otherwise they usually die. Good luck with them. Not trying to give you a hard time. Just some info.

Ok. On to the real question. How do you know the anemone ate the fish. Did you see it happen?
You would have seen the fish get stung and then trapped in anemone.

Yes tryed to rescue it but to late gutted and anemones are feeding well and great colour I read a lot but in Ireland we wouldn't get the same advice at the lfs as u guys

Your rushing into failure. A cycle can take 4-6 weeks BEFORE anything is added. After the cycle, a cuc only. A moth later, 1 fish, 3-4 weeks later a 2nd, and so on. Nems should not be introduced into a tank for a years. Ad that doesn't even address your lighting. I would reccamend taking all yr live stock back and slow down. Yr nem probally will not survive. As to if nems eat fish, what kind of nem is it, bta, carpet, Haitian, rock, ect.

I'm not really sure it's a Green Color with purple tips was speaking to and American girl today and she give me some advice so I'd new I'd done wrong but as I said my lfs when I first bought live rock and salt water mix said should be ready in a week witch I new was wrong so I waited 4 to add and bought amones and no questions asked witch has now pissd me off as I'd wasted 20£ on stock to be eaten

My cycle lasted 4 weeks, and then i added fish, so I'm not gonna hassle you about that. A cleaner shrimp and two fish added within a week is a little quick, though. Usually 1 fish, spaced 1-2 weeks apart is recommended at the start. And I added an anemone before 6 months, and it has gained a lot of color and has been doing great. But my water is very stable and I've never had an issue with hair algae or cyano (fingers crossed that I never do).
Anemones are carnivores. If the fish is slow enough, and the nem is hungry, it'll have a snack. I believe some nems are more likely than others to do this. What kind of nem do you have?

I think it is a snake locks anomne looked it up on google there the thing Is that everything in the tank seems fine I have some coral as well and is very colourful and blumes well
at nite under the LEDs live rock has the purple alge I read about that is a sign that the tank is fine

Ody said:
I think it is a snake locks anomne looked it up on google there the thing Is that everything in the tank seems fine I have some coral as well and is very colourful and blumes well
at nite under the LEDs live rock has the purple alge I read about that is a sign that the tank is fine

I hadn't heard of that one, had to look it up. From what I read, the tentacles get quite long and it commonly eats small fish. Can't see right now how big your tank is, but if its small, I would take the nem back to the store. If your tank is small, all you can get are small fish, and it seems like this nem may eat all of them eventually. :(

Thanks for the info guys very helpful I think back to the drawing board and somebody going to get some nice free amones lol

Back
Top Bottom