Newish Tank Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lazlo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is gonna be long one, sorry bout that but think best advice is given with most info available. I did alot of things wrong, I know that, trying to learn how not to and make the most of what we have now. Tank is 29 gallon 36x12x18, whisper 60 filter, 24" T8 single tube and 12" blue led strip, 1" blueish gravel, big fake coral decor w/ cave, 7-8 fake plants.

Was given a 29 gallon tank, was told it was 40 gallon but after a few water changes with 5 gallon bucket I measured and its a 29 gallon. Got most of my initial advice from petsmart, and I can't believe how wrong they have been on everything, shoulda done my own research first. Biggest problem was going with the 2 days running and add fish cycle, man that has been a pain, 2 months and tank is not completely cycled, ammonia was ok to keep up with, but the fish lived with toxic levels of nitrite(at times 10+) for about 4 weeks with pwc daily, sometimes twice a day, now nitrates keep creeping up but can keep on top of it. Also have some concerns on what fish I ended up with due to their advice, although fairly I told them we had 40 gallons. We added alot of fish too fast, this is a list of what we have/have had and what happened, looking for advice in what to do now.

Black Skirt Tetra - 3
at first had 2, then was advised they needed 6 or more, so added 4. 3 of them died, 2 no fins left at all 1 no tail fin but big bloated belly. All while nitrites were 10+. all 3 that are left have very long flowing fins but looks like they are all bitten/ragged/missing pieces of their tail fin

Dwarf Gouramis - 1 blue 1 flame
Had 1, lost other fish, wife decided they were prettiest so added 3 more, all males. 2 died with no bite marks, no bloating, while nitrites were toxic. petsmart replaced 2 for free after water cycled. Both of these just died with all fins gone, water is ok now.

Neons - 11
Had 14, found a few floaters here and there, no signs of anything wrong. They seem very happy and school all as one around the middle tank.

Mollies - 0
Had 1 male, 2 females, one female found floating with no fins. Other female appeared pregnant, male seemed ok for 3 weeeks. Male found floating with no fins, a week later female found on filter intake not pregnant looking, all fins, no sings of fry.

Guppies - 4
Had 6, 2 of each different variaty, 2 of same variety died with no fins, all others still ok.

Upside down Catfish - 1
He is ok but spends almost all the time in the upper corner opposite the filter, swimming upward frantically while staying in place. His spots fade to white then come back about twice a week. He does come out for feedings 1/3 times and swims around the tank real fast.

Common pleco - 1
Polly is very healthy and has grown about 2" already. I know she will grow too large, lfs will take her back when too big for tank and give us a little one again. She is very healthy and beautiful with many large full fins.

Ghost Shrimp - 0
We have bought probably 20 of these things, the larger ones last maybe 2 weeks. Smaller ones are gone almost immediatly, think they are treats for other fishes. They really are cool though, lots of personality, assuming your fish don't eat em.

I want a 75 gallon, neighbor has a 55 gallon for a steal, wife wants to keep what we have but put more fish in. What do you think with what we have, could we add anything, need to rehome something, who's most likely eatin fins or fin rot? We(she) would like 2 frogs, and maybe a single angel or betta and to keep some shrimp. Possibility or no? what other options for more or too many already?

One interesting site you could look at is aqadvisor because it calculates the fishes bio load and tells you how they would so together. I don't want to give much stocking advice because I'm not really that certain myself and don't want to give you any wrong information, I hope that website helps some! Anyone else have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Black skirt tetras are fin nippers so no go with the betta. I'd get a bigger tank before you do anything else. What kind of equipment are you running?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom