Newly converted 75g, first marine tank. Need advice, please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sam180

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys. So I've had a 75g freshwater for almost 2 years and just upgraded to 240g. I've decided to try saltwater for the first time and will be converting the 75. I've cleaned the whole tank out, substrate and all, as well as my two Fluval 406 canisters. I have put in 100lbs of brand new sand (pool filter variety), a few fake plants, a couple of medium decorations and one large decoration. I filled the tank back up and fired up both filters with fresh carbon, water polishing pads, bio balls and bio foam.

I have yet to purchase the salt from my LFS, which I will be doing soon. I have no desire (at this point) to get into reefs, so I will be keeping it simple with live rock and fish only for now. I will be starting out with probably 1-2 fish and slowly add 1-2 at a time every few weeks. In addition to the salt, I will be purchasing the live rock from my LFS (at $5.99/lb.) My first question is: how much live rock should I get? The store owner is recommending 1lb. of rock per gallon. To me, that seems excessive and would be a lot of water displacement. What do you guys recommend? Thanks in advance.

any where from 1lb to 1 1/2 lb per gallon is normal ,
could always go with 50 lb dry base rock and add a few lbs of live rock to seed it
and run a cycle ,
the dry rock could save you a lot of cash you can use for other things for your tank

be sure to catch yourself up on the cycling process so you don't run into any issues
this is a good start
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice
any questions just ask you'll get the answers you need
good luck on your new adventure you'll find it very addicting
I can't wait to see your progress , just take your time as rushing never leads to anything good (y)

any where from 1lb to 1 1/2 lb per gallon is normal ,
could always go with 50 lb dry base rock and add a few lbs of live rock to seed it
and run a cycle ,
the dry rock could save you a lot of cash you can use for other things for your tank

be sure to catch yourself up on the cycling process so you don't run into any issues
this is a good start
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice
any questions just ask you'll get the answers you need
good luck on your new adventure you'll find it very addicting
I can't wait to see your progress , just take your time as rushing never leads to anything good (y)

Well, with my shiny new 240 freshwater to tide me over, I will not be in a hurry on this tank. I'm going to look into fishless cycle this time around and take it slow. I probably will just go with mostly or all dry rock. Also not sure where I'd put 75 lbs of rock, either. Won't the BB grow onto the sand and other decor anyway? Do I really still need that much rock?

75lbs of rock really isn't that much. I have at least that much in my 55 display tank.
The BB grows on all surfaces, the benefit of "live rock" or dry rock is it's porosity. It allows both nitrifying bacteria and de-nitrifying bacteria to thrive.

You will enjoy the most success by having 75lbs at least as it provides safe haven for lots of micro-flora and fauna that greatly improve water quality and overall success whether it's a fish only or reef system.

If you are not planning on running a sump and just the canisters, then the live rock is pretty much vital as there is not enough space in the canisters to support as robust of a BB colony as you want. Nor do you get the anaerobic areas in a canister for the de-nitrifying bacteria to thrive.

One important thing is you need to add salt asap so the tank doesn't end up cycling as a fresh water because then you will have a die off of bacteria when you add the salt.
The sooner the better because it will begin cycling with or without your help...LOL

75lbs of rock really isn't that much. I have at least that much in my 55 display tank.
The BB grows on all surfaces, the benefit of "live rock" or dry rock is it's porosity. It allows both nitrifying bacteria and de-nitrifying bacteria to thrive.

You will enjoy the most success by having 75lbs at least as it provides safe haven for lots of micro-flora and fauna that greatly improve water quality and overall success whether it's a fish only or reef system.

If you are not planning on running a sump and just the canisters, then the live rock is pretty much vital as there is not enough space in the canisters to support as robust of a BB colony as you want. Nor do you get the anaerobic areas in a canister for the de-nitrifying bacteria to thrive.

One important thing is you need to add salt asap so the tank doesn't end up cycling as a fresh water because then you will have a die off of bacteria when you add the salt.
The sooner the better because it will begin cycling with or without your help...LOL

So it will start cycling even with no ammonia or anything for the bacteria to feed on? How is that possible?

it won't fully cycle to the point of supporting freshwater fish, but bacteria will begin to grow anywhere, anytime.
Ultimately it most likely won't make that big of a difference, it's just a suggestion.

Ah okay. Hopefully will be getting the salt added in this week regardless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom