Nitrates in new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a 29 gallon tank running for 4 weeks now. It is our first tank so while I have done a lot of reading I still have some questions. I have 6 fish in our tank as recommended by the local aquarium store - 3 White Cloud Mountain minnows and 3 black skirt tetras. I just bought an API liquid test kit last week, so prior to that I was relying on the dip tests done by the aquarium store, which never showed anything. In the last week with the liquid test kit I have had readings of ammonia = trace-.225 ppm (because my kids think it looks yellow but I think there is a slight green tinge to it - we can't agree), nitrite = 0, and nitrate increasing from 5ppm - between 10and 20 ppm today. My question: I have never seen a positive nitrite reading for my tank. Is it possible to have nitrates rising without nitrite being converted? How can I tell if my tank has already cycled, if it is almost done, or if it hasn't even started yet? I wish I bought the liquid test kit sooner! Thanks for all of your help. I add nothing to the tank except the tap water conditioner and fish food. We have live plants. I was doing a small water change every 3 days, but in the last week I waited a full week after detecting virtually nothing toxic in the tank. Thanks!
Jennifer

Welcome to AA!

Without a history of the levels, it is difficult to say for sure where you are.

If the ammonia is not zero, then chances are you have not started on the cycle yet. Now, tap water + dechlor may give you a false positive reading of low ammonia. (That is due to the chloramines in the tap water.) So that quasi positive may be an error. You can retest a few hours after a pwc to see if you read zero. <In that case, the original is a false positive.> Also, you can test some distilled water side by side with the tank. Comparing the two will definitely settle if you or your kid's eyesight is better!:)

In a planted tank, you sometimes miss all the peaks, as the plants will use up ammonia before your kit can detect it. <The so call silent cycle.> If your nitrate is consistently rising after each pwc (make sure there is no nitrates in the tap water!), and ammonia & nitrites are zero, then the tank is cycled.

+1. Certain plants suck up ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates like a sponge. A lot can happen in three weeks. If you're lucky, you're cycled. As jsoong said, keep an eye on the water parameters for any ammonia or nitrites.

Wow, I didn't expect to get feedback so quickly. Thanks so much!! I have never heard of "silent cycling" so I am starting to read about it online. Also, I did test my tap water for nitrates and it was at 5ppm; however, when I tested my tank today after no water change for a week it was between 10-20ppm (those colors were not that different to me). So, I assume because the levels of nitrate in my tank went up over the last week then it is being produced in my tank. At my next water change I will test the ammonia after the water change and also using distilled water. I'm curious what that will show. It would be great if there was no ammonia. Hopefully we will figure this out this week. Thanks!!

If by chance your tank isn't cycled, and the fish don't make it.(which it seems based on your situation your fish will be fine)I've heard you can continue feeding your tank fish food. It's supposed to help, but I'd double check that theory, I've never tried it before.

I am feeling encouraged today. I decided to take some tap water and mix it with the chlorine/chloramine remover I am using. I tested it for ammonia and also tested a sample from my tank. They were the exact same color (which the kids think is yellow but I think it is ever so slightly greenish - but they were the same color). Nitrates are higher than my tap water sample and have increased between water changes. Nitrites are 0. I think perhaps we are cycled and can add a few more fish. That leads to the next question...which fish should we get next? The kids have opinions on this matter, of course!

Back
Top Bottom