Nitrates through the roof.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Water change should be re-titled syphon-filter or gravel-vac to remove water and detritus from your system. Remove a clean bucket of water from the tank and use this to clean filter media, sponges etc. at this time check impeller and clean if necessary, replace filter wool with new clean material and replenish tank with new correctly acclimated water with the correct parameters.

Who would read that!

Thank you Rivercats. I too have 30 years experience and also qualifications in aquatic and fishery management.

I actually said 'massive cleaning' referring to the cleaning of filters removal of detritis etc. I am well aware of how BB live and work and of the metaolites excreted by fish. I am also aware that these metabolites are also broken down by numerous species of bacteria within an aquatic environment - protein skimmers help remove them too. I don't think I said that water changes remove nitrifying bacteria did I?

I was replying to wildroseofky - should have added quotes

Thank you Rivercats. I too have 30 years experience and also qualifications in aquatic and fishery management.

I actually said 'massive cleaning' referring to the cleaning of filters removal of detritis etc. I am well aware of how BB live and work and of the metaolites excreted by fish. I am also aware that these metabolites are also broken down by numerous species of bacteria within an aquatic environment - protein skimmers help remove them too. I don't think I said that water changes remove nitrifying bacteria did I?

Oops thought you was the original post, I don't mean to insult you either! I'm busy flitting about. Read and replied too soon!

You did say massive cleaning killing off nitrifying bacteria and recommended a product for replenishing beneficial bacteria. Massive cleaning usually involves WC. The only way you will kill off a lot of BB is to clean the bio-media in your filter. Even doing a huge substrate vacuuming and cleaning filters but not the bio-media will at most cause a mini cycle since the bulk of your BB is safely living in the bio-media. Cycling products are hit and miss. Once your tank is cycled you shouldn't need to add any cycling aid products unless you killed off BB in your filters bio-media.

The rest of the information provided was to show why WC's should be done weekly and not by your nitrate reading in the tank as you stated. This info is for the OP to show "why".

These posts are for putting out information to the original poster and it's not uncommon for people to not agree but it's also helpful to explain why a person states something so the OP can gather all information and make educated decisions.

Back
Top Bottom