Nitrite Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcsguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been cycling my 55 for close to a month . About a week or so ago the nitrites appeared off the charts. One week later and the test still shows a neon purple color right when the drops are in. I did a 45% water change because I heard high nitrites can stall a cycle and nitrites are STILL unreadable! Any recommendations? Do I just have to wait, or am I looking at a lot of water changes? Also, should I still be dosing ammonia? I know that I shouldn't starve the bacteria, but I don't want to add any more nitrites. I also have nitrate reading, if that adds anything.

I've been cycling my 55 for close to a month . About a week or so ago the nitrites appeared off the charts. One week later and the test still shows a neon purple color right when the drops are in. I did a 45% water change because I heard high nitrites can stall a cycle and nitrites are STILL unreadable! Any recommendations? Do I just have to wait, or am I looking at a lot of water changes? Also, should I still be dosing ammonia? I know that I shouldn't starve the bacteria, but I don't want to add any more nitrites. I also have nitrate reading, if that adds anything.

Cycles take about 5ish weeks. 1ppm ammonia equates to 2.7ppm nitrite your nitrites want to come down but you keep adding more and more. No more ammonia until nitrites return to 0ppm then one more 4ppm dose of ammonia until all is 0ppm. Water change to reduce nitrates then you good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cycles take about 5ish weeks. 1ppm ammonia equates to 2.7ppm nitrite your nitrites want to come down but you keep adding more and more. No more ammonia until nitrites return to 0ppm then one more 4ppm dose of ammonia until all is 0ppm. Water change to reduce nitrates then you good to go.

Sounds good, thanks.

For research purposes please can you let me know how many days since the start of the cycle for nitrites to read 0ppm and how many days it takes for the cycle to complete?

That would be much appreciated. Thanks

For research purposes please can you let me know how many days since the start of the cycle for nitrites to read 0ppm and how many days it takes for the cycle to complete?

That would be much appreciated. Thanks

Took about 2 weeks for nitrites to appear. Currently still off the charts, haven't dosed ammonia. I will get back to you when the cycle is complete.

Back
Top Bottom