Nitrite levels pls help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malang

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 55 gallon salt water tank has been established for 8 months. I presently have a yellow tang, a four striped damsel, a cleaner shrimp, and snaills. My levels have been normal but in the last two weeks my Nitrite levels have been steadily climbing. It's not high at 10ppm but my main concern is to get it taken care of before it gets out of control. I've done a 30% water change with absolutely no results. Pls help.

Did you have anything die in the tank? Can you take a sample to your LFS to double check your results. Have you medicated your tank? That might have killed some of the nitrifying bacteria in your tank. How often are you feeding? Just some questions that might help.

Sorry about the wrong information but its my Nitrate not Nitrite.

10ppm nitrate is nothing to be alarmed about. as a matter of fact, i wouldn't be concerned at all. just do weekly water changes and you'll be fine.

Thanks a lot but I was concerned about me performing a 30% water change with no results. Do I have to do a series of 30% weekly water changes to see any results?

What are the best known ways to lower or combat Nitrate levels?

Thanks a lot for your help. What is Vodka dosing?

Mr. X I tried the vodka dosing method but I misread the instructions. I added 2ml of instead of .02 ml of vodka like instructed. However, the fish are not stressed and my levels decreased halfway in three days. I am undecided on whether to continue with my method or drastically reduce the amount of vodka.

i would go back to the recommended dosage and start again from there. there is a reason why you are to do it gradually.
pretty cool how vodka works huh!

Really cool, but I have a question about this method. Is there any drawbacks to the continual use of vodka as a maintenance method for Nitrate levels? I know the article mentions about using it on a regular basis, but I can't help wonder about the long term effects.

it's not harmful as long as you keep track of your dosage. testing for nitrates regularly, and adding just what you need to accomplish your goal.
i wouldn't even worry about nitrates unless you plan on keeping sps.

like the article said, watch your livestock and add accordingly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom