Nitrite problem!!!!????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brianhoff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Set up new 50 gal tank 3 months ago. Tank has cycled. Started to add my new fish 2 weeks ago, checking ammo and nitrites every time I put 4 fish in. Ammo level never increased at all. Nitrites never increased until 4 days after I put the last 4 of 35 neon tetras in. I did a 20 gal water change out on the spot. Nitrite level came down to .1. To days later it is right back up, but there has never been a rise in ammo except the one when the tank cycled. Salted tank and increased air flow to tank, stopped feeding 5 days ago. Can someone tell me where in the hell the nitrites are coming from before it is to late!

Hi,
How did you cycle the tank?
Have you changed any Filter media lately?
You are experiencing a mini cycle. What you need to do is watch your levels frequently and do a water change to keep it down. Eventually the nitrite will go to 0 as the bacteria colony builds back up.

I used a well established bio wheel from another 50 gal tank. Put 3 cups of gravel from old tank in pantyhose and hung it in water. Added top fin bact booster and pure source of ammo. Change carbon filter every 2 weeks. I thought all cycles go ammo, nitrite, nitrate. How is the nitrite getting up if it has no source of ammo

I used a well established bio wheel from another 50 gal tank. Put 3 cups of gravel from old tank in pantyhose and hung it in water. Added top fin bact booster and pure source of ammo. Change carbon filter every 2 weeks. I thought all cycles go ammo, nitrite, nitrate. How is the nitrite getting up if it has no source of ammo

Your fish are the ammonia source. :) Fish produce waste in the form of ammonia. You probably stocked too much too fast. It should even itself out once the bacteria adjust to the higher load. Until then, keep testing and doing water changes as needed and feed sparingly.

Added top fin bact booster and pure source of ammo.

You should've actually been pretty well cycled by using the seeded media. I think by adding the above, you threw your cycle off. You really didn't need that stuff.

You are experiencing a mini-cycle because you are throwing away your bb every 2 wks when you throw out your carbon filters. Carbon isnt really necessary in an aquarium unless you are removing meds or odors (which tank shouldnt have anyway). Do not throw your filters away- just rinse them once a week in some used tank water when you do a pwc. You can also consider opening/slitting the filters & dumping out the carbon & replacing it with polyfill ($6-8 lg bag at arts & crafts store) or with foam filter inserts (cut to fit). Keep up on your water changes until your tank stablizes. :)

Good catch, I saw carbon but didn't realize it's probably all-in-one filter pads. I only change out my filter pads a few times a year, not the once per month recommended by the manufacturers to steal all of your hard earned money.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom