Nitrites in Tap Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hdlorider93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was having a problem with nitrites spiking and discovered that i have nitrites in my tap water. Tested with the api test kit and it's showing i have 1.0 ppm in my tap water. I'm imagining this is going to give me problems when i do water changes obviously. What's my solutions here?

You can use RO to cut with your tap water to reduce the amount of nitrites. BUT a cycled tank should be able to handle and process small amounts of nitrites in tap water. Using Prime will help detox it. Also you will do better off doing 2 smaller WC's weekly instead of 1 large one. That will help by adding smaller amounts of nitrites at a time so the tank can cycle them faster.

That makes sense i appreciate it, so right now my ammonia is at 0 ppm and my nitrites are way up so what's my next move? Should i just keep dosing my ammonia to about 1.0 ppm?

That makes sense i appreciate it, so right now my ammonia is at 0 ppm and my nitrites are way up so what's my next move? Should i just keep dosing my ammonia to about 1.0 ppm?

That's what I'd do in this instance because you already have a lot of nitrites and you don't want to drive them up too high since you already have a high amount in your tap water.

Back
Top Bottom