Nitrites skipped?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monsteridea

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright, as I said in my introduction I'm doing a fishless cycle to ready a tank for fish existing in another tank (it's old an beat up, wanted something new with a stand).

Ive been running the process for a week now, and I'm happy to see some results finally, though far from over. But I've now had readings of nitrAtes and no nitrItes. Is it really possible to skip the nitrIte part of the cycle if it's been seeded with established material? Here are my notes and logs so far:

Started: 7/6/12
Used PRIME as water conditioner
"bacteria supplement" *to the filter, temperature is cranked up around 87, water is low enough so the filter waterfall creates bubbles.*

Using liquid testers for ammonia, and strip testers for everything else.*

pH level has been 7-7.5 through the whole process.*

7/6
Added fish food
Amm. 0 ppm
NitrItes. 0 ppm
NitrAtes. 0 ppm

7/7
+Fish food, + small filter material from another tank added to filter media.
Amm. .25 ppm
NitrItes. 0 ppm
NitrAtes. 0 ppm

7/8
+ food, + ACE ammonia
Amm. 4 ppm
NitrItes. 0 ppm
NitrAtes. 0 ppm

7/9
+food, +amm
Amm. 4-5 ppm
NitrItes. 0 ppm
NitrAtes. 0 ppm

7/10
+food
Amm. 4 ppm
NitrItes. 0 ppm
NitrAtes. 0 ppm

7/11
+food, + amm, + 2 marimo from petsmart fish tanks later that day.
Amm. 5-8 ppm
NitrItes. 0 ppm
NitrAtes. 0 ppm

Small water change

Amm. 4 ppm
NitrItes. 0 ppm
NitrAtes. 0 ppm

7/12
-wait- added no ammonia, because I read to not add to it while waiting for it to drop.*

I did, however, add new seeding material- several rocks, some gravel and a plastic plant from old tank.
Amm. 4 ppm
NitrItes. 0 ppm
NitrAtes. 0 ppm

7/13
+ nothing, *no amm.*

Amm. 3 - 4 ppm
NitrItes. 0 ppm
NitrAtes. 0 ppm

7/14
+some food, no amm.*
Amm. 2-3 ppm
NitrItes. 0 ppm
NitrAtes. 0-10ppm (maybe? It was only a little more pink than original)

7/15
+ food, no amm.*

Amm. 2 ppm
NitrItes. 0 ppm
NitrAtes. 20-40 ppm

Also, because Marimo grow so slowly, what type of plants would you suggest adding for beginners? Or should I not add any more plants yet?
If I can hack it, I'd love to have live plants in the tank. I'm sure the tetras and barbs would appreciate it!

Thanks!

With enough seeded media it's certainly possible to skip the nitrite phase. It's hard to tell this early though but going from ammonia to nitrate is a good sign. Once ammonia starts dropping to 0 within 24 hours of dosing you'll have a better idea then. Usually nitrites show once ammonia starts dropping significantly. Sounds like you're on your way though!

If you're upgrading to a larger tank from an existing one though and if that tank is cycled there's no need to fishless cycle the new tank. You can just move the media over from the filter on the smaller tank into the larger filter (or run both the old and new filters together on the new tank) then move the fish over. It's up to you though.

You can certainly add live plants at any time. Your lighting will dictate what you can grow though. What light do you have, do you know the wattage? If it's the standard light that came with the tank you should be able to grow at least some low light plants like java fern, anubias and java moss.

Yes, it's a brand new filter and everything except the seeded material. Tankard lights that came with the tank, yes.

Update! I've had my first major drop. I dosed yesterday to get back up to 4ppm, tested today and it had dropped to 1-2ppm, nitrAtes went up at least one more shade, around 30-40ppm, and saw some pink on nitrites (about .5).

This makes me so happy to see progress! Dosed it again to 4ppm. Wait and see game.

I will probably be picking up some plants tonight or tomorrow, can't wait. Thanks ;)

Back
Top Bottom