Nooooooo! ICH!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerrbear

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Crap! I worked so hard to keep Captain Jack healthy, and now he has ich. I know I'm not supposed to do too many things at once to try and fix it, so what should I do first? 20% water change and clean the gravel? Should I go get some aquarium salt first? How long does Captain Jack have?

Start by raising the temperature a bit. I think 86 is the preferred temperature for killing ich. Try to stay away from salt until it is the last resort (along with using meds).

Captain Jack isn't gonna die. Just slowly raise the temp up to 86 and leave it there a week after the last ick spot is seen. Increase aeration and gravel Vacs.

But first, what kind of fish is this?

He's a Betta. He didn't have anything on him yesterday - I watch him to make sure he eats his pellets (and scoop out any he doesn't), so I would've seen it if they were there. I don't have a heater, will he be ok of I get one tomorrow? He's still active, and eating.

Okay, I bought a water heater, installed it, and have been gradually increasing the temp. But he seems so itchy -is there anything I can do to help him feel more comfortable? Would adding the aquarium salt make him less itchy? Also, the lady at the pet store said that stress can cause/exacerbate ich, so now I'm nervous about vacuuming the gravel...

Okay, water temp at 86, gravel cleaned thoroughly, small water change after cleaning the gravel... But he seems so miserable. He wouldn't eat, and it seems like he might not have been able to see his food. Does ich cause vision problems? How long should I try this stuff before using more desperate measures (salt, medicine)? How long does it usually take for water temp increase to take effect?

Kerrbear said:
Okay, water temp at 86, gravel cleaned thoroughly, small water change after cleaning the gravel... But he seems so miserable. He wouldn't eat, and it seems like he might not have been able to see his food. Does ich cause vision problems? How long should I try this stuff before using more desperate measures (salt, medicine)? How long does it usually take for water temp increase to take effect?

It will get worse before it gets better. The heat may take a week or longer to see all the spots gone. Then leave the temp up a week after just to be sure. Can you post a pic of the fish just to make sure l?

Hope these pictures are attached properly.

Attachments

• image-3034753995.jpg
    image-3034753995.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 90
  • image-3558062617.jpg
    image-3558062617.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 113
No, ich doesn't cause vision problems. Like George said, it seems to get worse before it gets better. He probably doesn't feel stellar because of the ich, but it should hopefully clear up soon.

Have you done reading on the cycle of ich? It helps if you understand more about whats going on and why heat works. It helped me.

Kerrbear said:
Hope these pictures are attached properly.

It does look like ich. Just be patient and your friend will get better! :) let us know how his doing too

Also, the lady at the pet store said that stress can cause/exacerbate ich, so now I'm nervous about vacuuming the gravel...

Doing gravel vacs every 2-3 days is essential. You must remove the ich spore from the substrate.

Just try to calm down. I know how the first ich experience can create chaos in your household. If you raise the temp, do the gravel vacs and add an airstone, things should work out fine.

By the way, if you need to scoop out uneaten pellets, you are seriously overfeeding. I feed all my tanks every other day. Remember that his stomach is the size of one of his eyes.

Great name, by the way. ;)

Edited to add: Oh man, I'm very sorry for your loss. You might not have caught the ich early enough.

Thanks, LyndaB. I'm going to let my tank cycle for a couple of weeks and then try again. I asked a while ago for some Betta-feeding advice, and was told that 2-3 pellets twice a day was the right amount. I put pellets in one at a time, and I didn't put another in until he ate the first one. Once in a while, he would miss one (the filter makes them zoom around on the surface) and when it got soggy and started to sink I'd scoop it out. I wanted to be extra-sure that there wouldn't be a lot of food particles in the substrate because, ironically, I didn't want him to get sick. Sigh.

I've read some differing opinions on this - should I use a Chemical treatment to ensure the ich is all dead, while I'm cycling? Or just keep the heat elevated and do regular water changes? Opinions? All of my levels are pretty good in the tank now, but I want to be good and sure that the stupid ich is completely dead.

Back
Top Bottom