NY taxes.......so frustrating!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QTOFFER

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone noticed the new line that our scummy politicians snuck into the NY State tax forms? This was part of the new state budget that our ruling troika of Joe Bruno :evil: , Sheldon Silver :evil: , and George Pataki :evil: rammed down our necks. In a pathetic attempt to look less asinine in an election year, Pataki vetoed the plan knowing full well that his veto would be over-ridden - thanks to a backroom agreement between Bruno and Silver that he helped broker.

New line 56 requires you to pay sales tax for purchases made out-of-state, be they via internet, mailorder, or in person.

You can do one of three things:
1 Itemize all purchases and compute the tax (a PITA - who saves receipts for little things bought on vacation, for example).

2 Pay a flat fee based on your income. (Equal to about 0.04% of your AGI) This is only for total purchases under $1000. Anything over $!000 must be itemized.

3 Enter 0 and be prepared to prove to the state that you did NOT make any out-of-state purchases.

Like any other tax, you could cheat, but I suppose that the state could subpoena your credit card statements if it wanted to rake you over the coals during an audit.

I'm now waiting for the state to resume its abandoned practice of following NYers to NJ shopping malls and writing down their auto license tag #s. :evil:

Mwaaahahahaha.

I haven't seen it, just heard about it. Let me say now, I have ALWAYS paid my taxes. But I don't see a lot of folk being terribly honest about this one *grin*

It's just annoying because Pataki essentially raised everyone's taxes by 0.04%, yet he can walk around with that big goofy grin and say he didn't raise taxes.

I feel I'm taxed enough. I haven't seen the forms yet, but this is ridiculous. :x I'm planning on tackling the tax forms after the LAST exam (wish me luck!)

Pataki looks like he's 3 sheets to the wind with that goofy grin. I can just picture him wandering around Albany with a scotch glass. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom