Oh no, I think I messed things up adding flora pride

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouida404

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I've been having a small problem with the brown spots, I don't think it's really brown algae, but included a picture. Anyway after adding java fern and anubias I decided they needed some fertilizer. So I added the recommended amount on the bottle of tetra flora pride after cleaning my tank. Suddenly that brown stuff is on the plants, walls, rocks, everwhere. I gently wiped it from my anubias. Also my anubias are not looking too good, I see I little brown on one leaf tip, and they look like them may be starting to yellow around the leaf edges. The reason i added the fertilizer. I have just one aqueon bulb, but I've read that may be too much, I have been leaving the light on 10 hours. Java fern still looks good. Any thoughts if it was the fertilizer, and what should be my next step. It's not too bad at all yet, but it's changing quickly. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Adding my pictures

Attachments

• 1421956792392.jpg
    1421956792392.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 71
One more, but it's on the glass too, which I haven't seen much of before.

Attachments

• 1421956910938.jpg
    1421956910938.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 74
Your Plants

Hello Ouida....

You didn't do any harm by putting a bit of liquid fertilizer in the tank water. Although, the dark green aquatic plants don't really need it. If you have more dissolved nutrients in the water then the plants use, you create a perfect environment for all kinds of algae. So, just feed the fish a balanced diet of a little flaked, freeze dried and frozen food every day or two. The fish will provide all the nutrients the plants need. You should remove the excess waste by working toward removing and replacing half the tank water every week, no slacking. Keep the tank water clean and the fish fed and your plants should be fine.

B

Ok thanks for your reply. I appreciate it:)

If it's a new tank it is probably diatoms. It is just temporary they will go away on their own. And my plants grow much better using fertilizers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks coursair. The stuff on the decorations is powdery like diatoms. Seems slightly different on the glass, but not sure. But the tank was never fully broken down, ie, the rocks and tiny bit of water have been there for a while with the under grave filter. However it's only been 5 weeks since I did that major overhaul. Should the anubias be so yellowish, when I got them, they were not a dark green, but they look like they are yellowing? Will reduce the light. Thanks

Oh and I change 10-20% water while cleaning the rocks every Saturday. My ph is staying high 7.6, I did try the high ph kit too, but no its 7.6. But everything else looks good. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate I think is 20-40. This api master test kit is hard to read, there is very little difference in the colors on the nitrate test. Which I check every Tuesdays.

Back
Top Bottom