One last tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I am going to upgrade my female betta from a 1.5g hex aquarium to a 10g. My only question is what would be good tank mates for her? I tried putting a ghost shrimp in her current tank, but she kept chasing it and nipping at its antenna, arms, legs, etc. I wonder if she could even get along with something like a tetra or rasbora.

Think that either neons, harlequin rasboras or celestial pearl danios would work in there with some shrimp at the bottom and maybe a snail:). I think she'll do better with the shrimp this time!

A 10 gallon tank isn't really that big. I would consider perhaps some corys. Bettas are known for attacking shrimp and snails by chewing parts off of them.

The females aren't quite as hostile as the males towards tankmates, however, it really depends on the invidual fish. Yours is showing aggression so you need to be really careful.

Just throwing this in here with the topic of cories. You would want DWARF or PYGMY cories. They would do great in a 10 gallon tank, but no other cory would.

Ember tetras, chilli rasboras, Pygmy cories, neon tetras, small killifish, harlequin rasboras, and-many are against this but it worked for me-a honey DG could all work.

She got along really well with my ADF's, but I had to remove her from their tank as she got really fat from the frog's left overs. I may see how she does with some tetras and go from there.

So, the 10g is currently cycling and should be done shortly since I seeded heavily.

However, I am trying to formulate a back-up plan since the female has shown aggression. If I was to get some type of tetra and she bullied it, could I remove the betta and replace it with a ram or pair of rams? I have always been intrigued by the critters, but there are so many different opinions as to how big a tank they need.

Ember tetras, chilli rasboras, Pygmy cories, neon tetras, small killifish, harlequin rasboras, and-many are against this but it worked for me-a honey DG could all work.

I would agree with this stocking too coz it also worked for me except for the honey DG coz I haven't tried it yet. But the rest are okay in my experience.

bruinsbro1997 said:
IMO ten gallons is not enough space for rams, twenty is a better option. You could try a pair of killifish, they're very colorful like rams!

Agreed, rams need at least 20 gallons. Also I wouldn't put a ram and a betta in a 10g anyway. Your bettas showing signs of aggression, so adding another medium sized colorful fish wouldn't be a good idea.

Agreed, rams need at least 20 gallons. Also I wouldn't put a ram and a betta in a 10g anyway. Your bettas showing signs of aggression, so adding another medium sized colorful fish wouldn't be a good idea.

I meant the ram would be taking the place of the female betta. The last thing I would do is put both in. Just asking for trouble.

The 10g is almost finished cycling. I have spent the last week debating exactly what I should try first. Then I got a bright idea. My 20g tall is kinda overstocked so I was going to move out my glowlight tetras into the 10g. However, I have 10 of them, so would 10 glowlights and the betta (if she tolerates the tetras) be okay in a 10g or is it too much?

The 10g is almost finished cycling. I have spent the last week debating exactly what I should try first. Then I got a bright idea. My 20g tall is kinda overstocked so I was going to move out my glowlight tetras into the 10g. However, I have 10 of them, so would 10 glowlights and the betta (if she tolerates the tetras) be okay in a 10g or is it too much?
To me personally, that seems like a bit much. Maybe split the glowlights up into schools of 5 in each tank?

Back
Top Bottom