Optimal PH level?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexandraDanielle21

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is the optimal ph for an aquarium? Assuming that all the other levels (ammonia/nitrate/nitrite) are in the clear.

there is not one, what you want is a stable PH, one that does not shift around.

most fish will adapt to whatever PH you put them in if they acclimatized slowly

As long as the fish is not wild caught a specific number is not crucial. Stability is a lot more important. if you try to modify your ph with chemicals it usually makes it unstable and makes it even more stressful for the fish than a specific number that is not perfect for their needs.

Tank Water pH

What is the optimal ph for an aquarium? Assuming that all the other levels (ammonia/nitrate/nitrite) are in the clear.

Hello AD...

An optimum pH would be a neutral 7. Neither acidic nor basic. But, the vast majority of aquarium fish will adapt to the vast majority of public water supplies. Aquarium fish have been doing this for decades.

The best thing you can do to ensure a healthy tank to follow a sound water change routine.

B

Hello AD...

An optimum pH would be a neutral 7. Neither acidic nor basic. But, the vast majority of aquarium fish will adapt to the vast majority of public water supplies. Aquarium fish have been doing this for decades.

The best thing you can do to ensure a healthy tank to follow a sound water change routine.

B

Thanks. My current PH level is 7.5. I read that Mollies thrive with this (yay) but I haven't read anything about what platies prefer. I am planning to add some tetras, but they prefer 6.5. As long as you think that they'll adapt, then that should be fine, right?

mollies, platies, guppys, all the liver bearers "thrive" in a PH of 7.8 to 8.5 with a high KH, but like said before they will adapt to whatever you put them in, as farm raised fish are very adaptable

Tank Chemistry

Thanks. My current PH level is 7.5. I read that Mollies thrive with this (yay) but I haven't read anything about what platies prefer. I am planning to add some tetras, but they prefer 6.5. As long as you think that they'll adapt, then that should be fine, right?

AD...

Of the fish you listed, Mollies are the least tolerant of changes in the water chemistry. I've kept "Livebearers" for several years, specifically Fancy Guppies and my pH stays in the 7.4 to 7.6 range. As long as the pH remains constant and especially for your Mollies, you change a good volume of tank water and change it weekly, all your fish will be fine.

Diet is very important. I feed my Guppies mostly frozen, it's the most nutritious, just the frozen animal and water. A variety of brine and mysis shrimp, bloodworms, beef heart, plankton and krill is best. Most of the other foods contain additives, and those generally just increase the shelf life of a product.

B

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom