oto's poop like crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

royta

Aquarium Advice Activist
I picked up a couple oto fish (one didn't survive so I only have one) for my 28g Euro bowfront tank last week. It's doing a great job cleaning up the algae that has thickly accumulated on the side of the tank. However, there is poop all over the bottom of my tank now. What's the deal with these otos? I'm hoping it doesn't create an excessive bio-load, requiring me to do water changes more than I needed to before.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111012_174154.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111012_174154.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 123
  • ForumRunner_20111012_174213.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111012_174213.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 98
Maybe you got one with IBS? Mine don't poop much... but I do have a small pile of wood shavings that your pictures resemble right under my driftwood where they knaw on it all day

I'm sure the pooping will slow down once there is less food to eat.

Sorry. I missed the "Profiles" in the forum title.

I get a lot of debris like that around my driftwood as well, where the otos and cories hang out. Whether it is poop or wood shavings, I do not know. What my filter doesn't pick up, I can easily vacuum out by hovering my gravel vac/water changer over the sand. I don't think otos have a huge bioload, but as an off topic tip, you going to want to make sure to get them some algae wafers or feed some cucumber a few times a week once the algae is gone, and you might want to get 2-3 more as they prefer groups.

Back
Top Bottom