Overeating Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
My littlest female Betta doesn't know when to stop eating. Whenever I feed frozen foods her belly ends up HUGE!! I don't feed them for a day after because of this. The pic doesn't show it as bad as it is.

image-3290022276.jpg

shellieca said:
My littlest female Betta doesn't know when to stop eating. Whenever I feed frozen foods her belly ends up HUGE!! I don't feed them for a day after because of this. The pic doesn't show it as bad as it is.

My penguin tetras do the same. They gorge themselves as they are my quickest swimmers and are always first to eat and their bellies have 2 sometimes 3 bumps on them. Almost looks like growths they look that full up lol.

Jon

Aw, little piggy betta! I have had a male for two years, and they can definitely do that. How do you feed her? Do you have other fish that you're feeding at the same time? It's best to feed bettas around two pellets twice a day, that way they get enough but they're not getting too much all at once. Their stomachs are only about as big as their eyes! They are highly prone to constipation, which can lead to swim bladder disorder. I'd say just feed her one piece of food at a time.

memfish magic said:
Aw, little piggy betta! I have had a male for two years, and they can definitely do that. How do you feed her? Do you have other fish that you're feeding at the same time? It's best to feed bettas around two pellets twice a day, that way they get enough but they're not getting too much all at once. Their stomachs are only about as big as their eyes! They are highly prone to constipation, which can lead to swim bladder disorder. I'd say just feed her one piece of food at a time.

WhenI feed them pellets, which is most of the time, I drop a pellet in front of each Betta to make sure it's eaten. The bulging belly is when I feed frozen Brine shrimp or Blood worms. Plus the "girls" will munch on the algae wafers I drop. They just don't seem to have a full button. :)

If its constipation a cooked frozen pea is a good way to help relieve it, as well as a fun tasty treat :) I also have an itty bitty female Betta who would eat till she busted if I let her. I constantly marvel at her, where do they put it?! :D

Back
Top Bottom