Penguin Tetra Die off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flytheworld2003

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

In the last two days, 7 of my 12 penguin tetra suddenly died. I recently introduced 12 rummy nose tetra (3 died within a day of introduction). The aquarium has been stable for 7 months and none of the other fish appear to be sick or impacted. What would kill the penguins but not impact the other fish? Any guidance is much appreciated.

Here are some stats:
-90 gallon (over 50% planted)
-biological filter (sump with bio balls and 2290 eheim wet/dry)
-co2 infusion (Red Sea)
-3 marble/koi angels
-1 dwarf gourami
-2 electric blue rams
-4 mollies
-2 clown plecos
-1 gold nugget pleco
-6 green tiger barbs
-11 neons
-9 (now) rummy nose tetra (introduced 5 days ago)
-2 upside down cats
-3 clown loaches
-4 penguin (had 11 until this morning when 7 had died)
-have high ph 7.6
-high gh and kh (montreal area water)
-no nitrite, ammonia, and low nitrate
-low dissolved co2

How long were they in the tank? How were they acclimated? I agree with the need to QT, but I've also seen penguins die off in QT for no apparent reason.

Welcome to AA! :)

I had not quarantined the R nose tetra before introducing them into my aquarium, though they had been in the shop for over a week already (and quarantined).

Though, as you suggest it maybe neon tetra disease, why have my neons not been affected (as yet)?

And I have been removing the penguins as soon as I see them sick. If I were to remove the angles/loaches, how long would it be before I can re-introduce them into the aquarium (knowing the disease has passed)?

The symptons are they will become extremly energetic even at night time, they will also swim very errect. Then when the deseise takes a hold it will start to turn white and then it will tturn very white around the spinal area

Back
Top Bottom