Pepper cory cat has lost most of his tail & is acting strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got up yesterday to see that one of my pepper cory cats was floating at the surface. Thinking he'd passed away, I opened the lid to get him out and he panicked a bit, then went back to the bottom. Also saw that he'd lost most of his tail, though his other fins seem to be in good shape. The nitrates levels were quite high so I did a large water change and added some Melafix. Since then I've noticed him hanging out at the surface several more times, usually on his side with belly against the glass. Could this behavior somehow be due to his tail or is there another problem I haven't noticed?

hbeth82 said:
I got up yesterday to see that one of my pepper cory cats was floating at the surface. Thinking he'd passed away, I opened the lid to get him out and he panicked a bit, then went back to the bottom. Also saw that he'd lost most of his tail, though his other fins seem to be in good shape. The nitrates levels were quite high so I did a large water change and added some Melafix. Since then I've noticed him hanging out at the surface several more times, usually on his side with belly against the glass. Could this behavior somehow be due to his tail or is there another problem I haven't noticed?

What size tank? What are his tank mates? Is there enough oxygen getting to the bottom portion of the tank? Is the tank light, medium or heavily planted? Have you seen any aggression from any of his tank mates? Sorry for all the questions, trying to narrow down the possibilities.

Sorry, I ought to have been more specific with that post. I have a 55gal, semi-planted tank with two AquaClear 70gal HOB filters. As for aggression, yes, which was actually the subject of another recent post. I have a female convict & female salvini who seem to be the main sources of aggression but I've never noticed either of them going after the cory cats - the convict tangled with my bn pleco once and has spent much time at the bottom since!

Today he's not swimming at the very top but is more mid tank, though still swimming with his belly up against the glass. I haven't noticed any unusual behavior or injuries from any of the other cory cats so I'm not sure what to think.

Back
Top Bottom