Pete's 5 Gallon Paradise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hahaha doesn't sound like such a bad plan! Sounds like you have most of what you need for him, probably wouldn't need tooooo many more funds as long as you had some kind of job....be careful getting the pet store discount...you might spend more than you would otherwise! I know I did when I worked at a pet store :p ;)

Yeah. . . I used to work at JcPenney's and I definitely went a little crazy with my discount. It was a good discount though, 20% off. I paid less than $40 on my prom dress that year (including tailoring).

My boyfriend will keep me in check for the tank though and like you said, I pretty much have all the essentials. Except for some more plants. I'm planning on picking up some Hornwort this weekend. And I'd also like to add either an Anubias nana or a java fern. I think they also had some crypts there, but I couldn't remember what would be appropriate for a 5 gallon. I'd really like a carpet plant, but I didn't see any while I was at PetSmart (probably not a bad thing, since I don't the lighting requirements of any of the carpet plants.

I'd really like to add in more animal life to the tank, but I'm limited with a 5 gal. My lil sis really wants a fish, but I know there's not much I can put in with Pete. (Mom said she couldn't have her own tank right now). I told her she pick out a snail for the tank, but we didn't really see anything that either of us liked. Maybe once I get it planted a bit more, I can look into putting some ghost shrimp in there for her.

Just found this pic. from the other day. This is the color that I thought Pete was when I bought him. Boy was I surprised when he turned out to be pink. . .:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 100_0242.jpg
    100_0242.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 45
Hahaha they do change colors from what they are in the pet store don't they?! :p

FWIW I have Crypts (large and small), anubias, purple cabomba and wisteria in my 5g with 14watts of light over it (i know you've seen it but here's my 5g journal if that can be helpful at all http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/my-5-gallon-journal-101228.html) My Otos get along quite well with my Betta, 2 of them in there with him. Maker sure you're careful with what snails you get if you get them, make sure they're not the plant eating kind!!! ;) I'd be careful with ghost shrimp though, Bettas tend to enjoy them as snacks :p

Thanks for the link! It was nice to look at the pics of your tank again. I really like the otos. Maybe a couple of those. . . I think I'll wait to add anything until after I've added more plants. I really liked the Hornwort I saw at PetSmart, and I think they had some Cabomba. So maybe a combo of the hornwort, moneywort, and cabomba stems would make a nice backdrop for the tank. And if I can find a an anubias that isn't in too bad of shape then I'll be set for a while. I'd really like to put in a moss and hope that it covers the coral decoration I have in the tank, but I didn't see any at PetSmart. :(

Hey no problem, and thanks for the compliment! I'm not familiar with hornwort and moneywort, i don't think they have those at my LFS, i'll have to look them up! :) I was thinking about a moss for my driftwood, especially in my 5g...if I can find some :p But yeah, I think waiting until there is some plant cover for whoever you put in there with Pete is probably a good idea though :)

Finally got home from college last night and had a chance to look at Pete's tank. And I saw BGA. . . again. Did a PWC and got most of it out. Params on the tank are as follows:

pH: 8.2
Ammonia: less than .25 (color is between 0 and .25)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-5 (color is between the two)

I dosed nitrate last night, so I'll check nitrate levels again tonight.

Moneywort and Pete seem to be doing fine otherwise. Went to PetSmart last night, but Hornswort was literally disintegrating in their tank. Anubias didn't look much better, and I didn't see anything else that looked like it would be suitable.

The Moneywort seemed to do well, but I left the tank in the care of my lil sis for about a week and it was overrun by BGA by the time I was able to check up on it again. :( I've managed to get rid of the BGA but I had to throw out the moneywort, and I took out the coral decoration (I didn't really care for it anyway).

Good news now: I've moved Pete to my boyfriend's house where I spend most of my time, so I'm able to keep a better eye on the little guy. And I picked up some stuff at walmart for the tank today. I picked up some silk plants (I'm giving up on real plants until I have the time to more closely monitor the tank), and a terra cotta pot (those are aquarium safe, right?).

I will get up new pics when I can.

Sorry to hear about the BGA! Glad to hear Pete's still doing well though! and that you've moved him to a place you can keep a better eye on him :) glad to hear you're getting the tank back into shape :)

Tank is doing great. Pete seems to be doing well, he's ignoring his silk plants and the terra cotta pot at the moment. But no signs of BGA so I'm happy.

Sounds good! I'd love to see some pictures if you get the chance! :)

Back
Top Bottom