PH and how it differs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

El_diablo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I hav jus tested the water in my freshwater tank and in my yellow belly turtle tank and in my freshwater tank the ph is 7 where as my yellow belly turtle tank waters ph is 5.5. But the water is from the same tap I hav the same substrate in both tanks with a few fake ornaments/plants in both tanks so how come my ph levels are so different??? Jus curious if any body can help? Cheers

What are you using to test it (what kind of test kit/method)? 5.5 seems awfully low...

Also, what are the other water parameters in the tanks? That can affect pH.

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate

In both tanks, it is the same?

Try re-testing the pH

also, in turtle tank, do you have a land portion? Different rocks?

My freshwater tanks ph is 7 and the nitrate is between 5 and 10 and the ammonia n nitrite are both 0. In the turtle tank I hav a plastic basking/land area with the same substrate as my freshwater tank, it's not causing a problem my turtles hav lived seemingly quite happy for around a year in there now (I rescued them from a friend of my sisters who didnt really take proper care for them around 2 months ago and I'm currently in the process of building them a new tank) I'm jus curious to why the ph is so different in both tanks as it seems a little strange

It is strange. There is something causing a difference that drastic between the 2 tanks. Are you using any type of chemical filtration in your filters?

I should add, too, that even though they are different, so long as they are both stable, it won't hurt anything. It is just odd that they differ so much.

No I use the same tap water dechlorinator for both and that is the only additive I put in the water, yeh it's not really a concern as the ph is stable in both tanks I was jus a little puzzled to why, thanks for the input tho

Back
Top Bottom