pH Testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What does Ph testing to an aquarium tell you? Does it indicate the amount of ammonia?

Tells you the ph level of the water. You test separately for ammonia nitrite nitrate. Some fish do better in certain types of water so it tells you if your waters acidic or alkaline

Are you cycling your tank? You have fish already in? You should be testing for all of what I said really. Ultimately though once the tank is cycled you should have 0 ammonia and nitrite and very low nitrate.
Most fish will adapt to ph between 6-7.8. It's the ammonia and nitrite that kills.

aquariumc said:
So should I test the for ammonia instead of ph?

Do you have the API test kit? You need to test individually for ammonia, pH, nitrite and nitrate.

Is testing the ph testing and such necessary if I have a sponge filter or any type of filter?

If the Ph drops too low, low-mid 6's you can have cycling problems. If you are doing weekly water changes on a fully cycled tank this shouldn't be much of a problem.

Back
Top Bottom