Ph trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davidsoccer22

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have a tropical tank and my ph is reading 5.7 to make it 6.8 do I need to add acid or alkaline. I am asking this because my tank was reading 6.4 so I started to add acid. Ever since then the ph has gotten worse. Please help!

By doing a water chang your ph will go up. Might have to do some small water changes over a couple of days to adjust the ph to the right area. This way the fish don't freak out and get ick, etc. Hope this helped!

I have never used any product such as that. The best bet would be to do is a
Water change. A cause of ph drop, can be due to old water, etc. Adding product to raise ph in a freshwater tank is use less, when a simple water change can fix the problem. And save money. Now in a saltwater tank that's diffrent. The ph needs to be around 8.3 compared to 7.0

Acid is going to lower the pH, Alkaline will raise it. I agree though, adding chems to do it is only a temporary fix, and can be dangerous to fish, especially if its not something you are well versed in.

You'd be better off with a more stable source to raise the pH, like crushed coral, aragonite, etc.

Thanks. The tank is quite new though so we are still trying to stabilize it.

Why are you attempting to change your pH? One of the first things I learned in starting a FW tank is that you shouldn't doctor your pH and that using additives to raise or lower the pH (i.e. API pH up / down = acid / alkaline) is one of the worst things you can do. This will cause your water chemistry to be very unstable and will cause more harm than good. Most fish can adapt to a pH that's a little out of their range... the more important thing is to keep the pH steady.

Here's a quote... I suggest you read the article I referenced as well below.

"Quite possibly, the worst thing you could do to your fish tank is mess with the pH with chemicals. The pH is going to be buffered naturally to whatever it is coming out of the tap, and is very difficult to adjust safely. Adding chemicals to the water will very often leave you with an unstable system, constantly fluctuating and ready to plummet or skyrocket as soon as you put anything else (your hand, a fish bag from the pet store, a decoration or some fish food...) in the water.....If you want to increase pH (naturally), add a sea shell or a coral skeleton."

Aquarium pH - The First Tank Guide - What About Adjusting the pH in My Aquarium?

ENTER_NAME said:
I have never used any product such as that. The best bet would be to do is a
Water change. A cause of ph drop, can be due to old water, etc. Adding product to raise ph in a freshwater tank is use less, when a simple water change can fix the problem. And save money. Now in a saltwater tank that's diffrent. The ph needs to be around 8.3 compared to 7.0

Do you read question before you answer?!?

Acid drop Ph and alkaline put it up.

Its not old water he wrote, that he put acid....

And saltwater...Nothing to do there!

Ok, sorry, now some help:

You can put "ph up" product to put up PH but it will fall down fast as most product have no buffer effect. So KH booster are better! pure Kh(HCO3 or CO3 and never more than 10-20ppm a day) And as some tell before, chem will not help at all if you dont know what you using.

Set you kH with the type of fish if you want but fish can adapt. If you dont add any other base or acid ( peat, ammo lock, PH down...) your kh will tell you approximately the pH value as Kh and pH are closely related!

For sure yoy can put PH and KH up by PWC, its very good but if you want it easy, just choose your Kh booster wisely! PH up is not that good as the ph wont stay high for long and often has secondary effect.

Adding product is never a waste of money, it depends on your motivation. Some prefer wasting 10 $ instead of PWC, and its not us who has to juge that, we are suppose to help!

A pure Kh booster that you can mesure how many ppm you gonna add is nutrafin KH booster. Yes its expensive for quantity but that pure KnO3 and No3 with precise dosage.

Regard

Back
Top Bottom