PH - what effects it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudz

Aquarium Advice Addict
The reason i'm asking:

I have a cycled, stable 75 gallon now, 2 months strong. (i used the filter from my 44 gallon (fluval 304) and have JUST finished tearing down the 44 gallon (*tear*... for sale)

Aside from that, the 75 gallon will be my discus tank - I'm just taking my sweet time getting there (money is tight)

Currently: 20 Cardinal tetra's. 6 black Neon tetras 5 ottocats. One CAE (soon to be moved out)

Back to the point...

Zero Nitrates. Zero Nitrites, Zero Ammonia.
PH in tank is 8. Yes. 8. I had to bust the High PH kit out.

So I freaked. I checked Fresh tap water. 7.2-7.4 range

Then I checked Brita Filter in fridge (standing water)

6. Yes... 6. how can I have 100 times the acid/basic water in 3 different tests, when they all come from the same source! (city water!)

Next, I'll be leaving a jug of tap water out for 3 days to see what PH it is.

I must get this stable, around 7.4 or less before I even think of discus (not going to breed)

Otherwise, I'm pleased with the tank. Bit of an algae problem, but its getting better since I got higher light (that didn't quite make sense either... I stole my 96 watt light from my 44, and algae+ottocats+ hard work = less algae. Also dosing Flourish excel.

Bottom line:

How could my tank vs. Tap vs. Brita filter be so vastly different???

It depends. Your pipes could have some sort of chemical in it that lowers it. pH could also be lowered in your tank from driftwood and/or peat moss but can also be raised from limestone rocks and/or crushed coral. The best way to keep pH stable and change it is by natural means like mentioned above. RO is also something to look into to.

It depends. Your pipes could have some sort of chemical in it that lowers it. pH could also be lowered in your tank from driftwood and/or peat moss but can also be raised from limestone rocks and/or crushed coral. The best way to keep pH stable and change it is by natural means like mentioned above. RO is also something to look into to.

Funny thing is the PH in my tank is Higher (8) than everything else.

I have plants, Eco Complete, and to pieces of drift wood.
What the PH of Flourish Excel? I did dose that today - would that through off Hardness/PH or something?

sudz said:
Funny thing is the PH in my tank is Higher (8) than everything else.

I have plants, Eco Complete, and to pieces of drift wood.
What the PH of Flourish Excel? I did dose that today - would that through off Hardness/PH or something?

There is no pH in Flourish Excel I believe, though someone should correct me on that. Your pH is high, yet you have driftwood in the tank...how is that?

I boiled the **** out of the driftwood - so its effect is probably minimal.

Peat has been in the filter for ages as well. I swap some out and see how it reacts over a few weeks. I'm in no rush to get the discus. Only once I have things stable and set will I add them.

Back
Top Bottom