Ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nigael lewis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey you guys ,
Can anybody help me with this one, my PH is reading 7.8 , and i need to
increase it to 8.2 , any ideas out there! i am still new to aquaria(if you have not already guessed). Also my tank is 1 week old and my Nitrate level is 5.0 is this normal for a young set-up.

Why do you 'need to increase it' ?

Beyond that, how are you cycling your tank? What kind of water?

ive got salt water, and am cycling the water by means of a external filter, i ask the question because in the test kit it says 8.2-8.4

That's your filtration. Your tank needs to be cycled to grow the bacteria that will convert the waste from your fish into less/non toxic compounds. I'll post some links or you can search here or google 'saltwater aquarium cycle'.

For the short term don't worry about your ph. When you cycle it will vary all over the place until it's done. Even then 7.8 is fine. Your fish will prefer stable ph over a specific number (within reason).

You've got a long way to go before you can add fish. Ask the questions you have and someone here will add their 2 cents. Keep in mind that it's the posters opinions. In the end you need to do your own research, weigh the opinions you get and make your own decisions. It's your tank, your money,blah blah blah.

Also, post in the saltwater forums (Getting started), more people peruse there than the local forums.

and BTW: Welcome

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.Yes, i know its early for fish, this is why i would like to try and get it correct from the off, and take info. from experts like yourself which will help me in the future.

Back
Top Bottom