Plant fertilizer and shrimp. (copper an issue?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wendal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started using a plant food supplement in my tank.

The bottle gives a webpage to visit for contents and levels of metals in the product. (aside from the Guaranteed Analysis on the back of the bottle).

Here is the site:
http://regulatory-info-api.com/PDF/LZ Metals mu sntzd.pdf

Im not sure I understand the info on the site though.

They mention Copper Total at <2.5 mg/kg.

This bothers me......because I plan on adding some cherry shrimp very soon and I already have a ghost shrimp in the tank.

Is this enough copper to harm the shrimp?

As per the directions on the bottle, I would only be using 2.5mL of the food once a week.

Any input?

I have a 10 gallon with a herd of ghost shrimp and I use the API Leaf Zone for my plants. I haven't seen any problems as of yet. I've had the shrimp in since April and I dose every week. I also use it in all the other tanks without any problems so far. Maybe if you stay at the required dose it's fine.

the plants use it up. a good sign is you already have shrimp in there and they are not dead. one thing to note is ghost shrimp can be aggressive so you might not want them with cherry shrimp.

I only have one ghost shrimp.

You think he will bother the cherry shrimp?

Maybe I'll wait on getting them then. Just get a handful more ghost instead.

A ghost shrimp might harrass small or ill cherries. But mostly they are compatable so long as there is plant cover.

the plants use it up. a good sign is you already have shrimp in there and they are not dead. one thing to note is ghost shrimp can be aggressive so you might not want them with cherry shrimp.

I agree the author shouldn't be worry about ghost shrimp already living in the tank.
One question: why do you think ghost shrim can be aggressive with cherry? Is it normal behaviour for it?

That is just how ghost shrimp are, a bit more ornery and territorial than cherries.

That is just how ghost shrimp are, a bit more ornery and territorial than cherries.

That they are. Mine tend to line up and charge the gravel cleaner when I'm doing my weekly cleaning. Even the Betta that's in with them leaves them alone. Altho they didn't fair well when I had some in the 29 with cherry barbs.

I think the fertilizer is fine as long as it is chelated copper.

Ghost shrimp adults will eat baby RCS. I wouldn't put them in the same tank.

some might not be as aggressive since there are several species sold under the same name. they been known to gang up and take down fry so i think a shrimp wouldnt me too much of a challenge.

Back
Top Bottom