Plants showing signs of deficiencies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bert2oo1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I've had my tank running for around 2 weeks now and my plants have been going well so far but now my Amazon swords sprouting a clearish leaf and my liaposis (Can't remember spelling basically a micro sword) are starting to get yellow tips and curling abit.

My lights medium - high 8 hours a day
Diy co2 at 1 bps for 8 hours a day
Temp is 25 degree c
Nitrates 10
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0

I dose daily with the pps pro method. Both trace and ferts.

Pictures:

Could it be that I need to ramp up the trace elements or ferts?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could switch to EI dosing for a few weeks to rule out a nutrient deficiency although, when I have had transparent sword leaves lack of co2 has always been the cause.

Swords/crypts are notorious root feeders. Root tabs/pellets would be helpful.

@fresh2o I've got root tabs scattered all through the substrate and also directly under the sword and crypts.
Crypts are going really well, plenty of new growth. Just the Amazon sword and the micro swords that are struggling abit.

@fresh2o I've got root tabs scattered all through the substrate and also directly under the sword and crypts.
Crypts are going really well, plenty of new growth. Just the Amazon sword and the micro swords that are struggling abit.

Plants often go through a transition while adjusting... Not sure why the new leaves are translucent/pink.

Plants often go through a transition while adjusting... Not sure why the new leaves are translucent/pink.

Yea I've read the deficiencies list and I thought maybe it could be a lack of iron or co2 but neither say anything about pink leaves, just white and yellow, maybe it's just adjusting like u said and it's doing strange things. I'll give it a week and see how it goes :)

Yea I've read the deficiencies list and I thought maybe it could be a lack of iron or co2 but neither say anything about pink leaves, just white and yellow, maybe it's just adjusting like u said and it's doing strange things. I'll give it a week and see how it goes :)

Might be worth picking the dying leaves off. With the swords, run your thumb all the way down the leaf and under the substrate and push firmly and the leaf will break at the base which will stop rotting and prevent you having to having to take the sword up to remove leaves and disturbing the root system.

Might be worth picking the dying leaves off. With the swords, run your thumb all the way down the leaf and under the substrate and push firmly and the leaf will break at the base which will stop rotting and prevent you having to having to take the sword up to remove leaves and disturbing the root system.

Awesome thanks for the tip! :)

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

Back
Top Bottom