platy fish fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magikpotatogurl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a 16 gallon freshwater community tank with 4 platys 2 rainbow fish a dwarf goruami and a snail but two of the platys continue to fight and chase each other. are there any ways to stop this or is this normal behavior?

I know with larger, more aggressive fish moving the decor around can help dissipate the fighting. Might be worth trying

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They might be two males fighting for dominance. I don't think you can stop it (I see it daily in my tank), but you could provide some plants for a fish to hide in, if he's feeling picked on.

Glad they calmed down. :) Platies do best in a ratio of about 3 females to one male. Males will bicker with each other. Their fights usually don't amount to much and will chill out once they have a hierarchy figured out though some are more feisty about it than others. Males will also incessantly chase females, so it is a good thing you added a bit of landscape to break up the tank.

Back
Top Bottom