Platy staying mostly on bottom of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmd123x

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all :) I'm having an issue with one of my fish. Hes a platy. I noticed him swimming kind of weirdly. He seemed to be swimming mostly diagonally as if dragging his lower half and hed be at the top of the tank like he was eating. Now, hes been hovering at the very bottom of the tank and not swimming about. What do you think the problem is? All the other fish are very happy. I checked the levels. Ammonia is close to zero. Its never read zero from day one. I think it may have something to do with my tap water. Its always been lighter than .25 but not quite yellow. Just a super light hue of green. The nitrites are 0 and nitrates 10. I hate that hes having issues. Its only been 2 days hes been acting like this. I have a 40 gal tank, Marineland penguin bio wheel 200 filter and like 15 other fish (mollies, platies, tetras etc). What do you think?

Heres my fish

Attachments

• 1413827526518.jpg
    1413827526518.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 1413827547875.jpg
    1413827547875.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 67
Ammonia being positive in your tap water usually means you have chloramines in your tap. I should be consumed by the nitrogen cycle. What kind of dechlorinator are you using?

I use Aqua Safe Plus

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey all :) I'm having an issue with one of my fish. Hes a platy. I noticed him swimming kind of weirdly. He seemed to be swimming mostly diagonally as if dragging his lower half and hed be at the top of the tank like he was eating. Now, hes been hovering at the very bottom of the tank and not swimming about. What do you think the problem is? All the other fish are very happy. I checked the levels. Ammonia is close to zero. Its never read zero from day one. I think it may have something to do with my tap water. Its always been lighter than .25 but not quite yellow. Just a super light hue of green. The nitrites are 0 and nitrates 10. I hate that hes having issues. Its only been 2 days hes been acting like this. I have a 40 gal tank, Marineland penguin bio wheel 200 filter and like 15 other fish (mollies, platies, tetras etc). What do you think?

Are you sure it is a male? I cannot tell by the angle of the picture, but what about the slight chance he is a pregnant she? My platy has strange behavior before she gives birth. Just a thought.

It has the straight gonopodium while the other platy has a fan shaped one. The other platy is most def pregnant because shes huge.

Here is another pic

Attachments

• 1413832297179.jpg
    1413832297179.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 1413832370547.jpg
    1413832370547.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 59
No worries! Thanks for the input :)

My platy seems to be still chilling at the bottom. He moved around sometimes. I will leave him alone and see what the next few days bring.

Back
Top Bottom