please help algaa problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waelaase

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Dear All,
i have a big problem of hairy green algaa on the back of tank and
back rocks
and a red alga on the front sand
the rock seems dead so what is the problem
i attached two pics for the two kind of algaa in the following album
http://www.talkingreef.com/modules....=view_album.php

and what make caroline algaa grows again on rocks to make them live again
thanx

Check your water parameters. Before you go figuring out how to get rid of the algae, you need to know what is causing it.

Grab a phosphate test kit as well. Are you using tap water? How many hours a day are the lights on? Do you have alot of water flow in your tank?

thanx for reply
i dont use tap water and yes a have alot of water flow
and i'll buy a phosphate test kit
but how to reduce phosphate
and how to make caroline alga gorw
thanx

Phosphates would be coming in from your water source... You have a test kit, right? What are your nitrate levels? And how long do you leave your lights on a day?

I'm not sure about coraline algae. It needs light, and a starting source too. Make sure your calcium levels are up. Around 420-440 is reccomended I believe. I think I might need to start thinking on how to stop the growth, soon. lol

Good luck.

I have been told by my LFS that calcium will help coralline grow but that strontium will accelerate its growth rapidly. I have not verified this and have not tried it. The algea is a problem with excess nutrients in the water. It can be from many sources but commonly from overfeeding. What are your water perameters and how long has the tank been up?

Back
Top Bottom