Possible cotton mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think my neon tetra has cotton mouth. He is in a quarantine tank with 10 black neons and 4 other neons. I am finding all sorts of conflicting advice on how to proceed so I figured this was the fastest route.

I have Maracyn Two which says it will treat cotton wool disease in tetras
(I also have Maracide and Betta Fix)

I see that I should use Melafix and salt on some sites, cull the fish, maracyn on other sites.

Neons are supposed to be sensitive to salt.

What is the best treatment to use?

I can treat the tank and the fish together or separate him and treat both separate.

Advice is welcome. I will continue to research. Thanks!

Jana

<edit> any opinions on ethylene blue or potassium permanganate baths?

This is only in the mouth of one fish (as far as I know).
Water parameters are fine. 0 Ammonia and Nitrite and Nitrates are 5
It is a 10 gallon tank with an Aquaclear 20
Temps are room temperature (76-78) lowering won't be easy

When I had my bought with Columnaris I tried Maracyn 1&2 and Maroxy with zero improvement ,meaning I couldn't slow the infection and fish kept dying. Then after switching to Jungles Fungus Clear there was improvement after a couple of days eventually clearing the illness after two applications with no casualties after switching meds.

Great thanks! I'll try that. I was debating a melafix/pimafix combo. Hopefully the fish can hang in there till after the kids are up from naps!

Yup couldn't find it at petsmart I got pima fix and melafix for now I am going to make a trip to Walmart tomorrow. Thanks again!

I read something about culling the sick fish. Should I do that? They have been in a tank together for 1 week and he had a white spot on his mouth not long after we came home. It has only recently gotten worse but I am thinking that culling him wouldn't really do the other fish any good. Plus I don't want to :/ But if I have to I will. There are 14 other fish in that tank.

Also should I just keep using the pima/mela fix since I started it or should I find Jungle Fungus treatment and switch to that? Not sure if it is the same concern as with bacteria. I can order the Jungle Fungus on Amazon and have it here by Tuesday. If I am going to continue the mela/pima fix then I might hold off.

Jana

Back
Top Bottom