possible ich problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MLM754

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening,

Which ever the case maybe when this is read. I have a problems that I notice after I brought a black molly mail. He had ich. He was in the tank for about 24 hours before I notice the spots. Can anyone tell me how long does it take for 1 fish to contaminant the tank? I've stated treating the tank, the bottle states to remove carbon. How long should the carbon stay out of the filter system?

:fish2:

Carbon should be removed during the hole treatment process. Hate to say it but your going to have to assume your tank is infected now.

I just went through a problem with ich on one of my existing fish (no changes had been made to the tank). I did as much reading as I could for the best/safest method to treat the fish and tank. I raised the temp of the tank to 85-86 and started doing PWCs every other day. It's been two weeks and the fish is cleared of all spots. I've kept the temp up and continued the water changes just to make sure I've gotten rid of it.

When I researched the issue, I found out I had really no idea what ich was before. I suggest looking up ich just to get an idea of what to do to prevent it in the future.

And to confirm to the first response, the carbon will have to be removed while you treat with the med.

Ich is *very* contagious.
It's always a good idea to have an 'emergency' tank set aside when adding new fish to act as a quarantine tank for the first 2 weeks, especially if you've already got a healthy community.
If you don't have the extra tank, running a cycle of antibiotics, regardless of weither or not the fish looks healthy, is a good idea. Adding new fish tends to stress a tank (which is normal), even just adding some aquarium salt or slime coat can help your guys out. :)

I accidentally gave my whole tank fin rot by not doing the quarantine, so better safe than sorry!

I've changed the water 25% put a new filter in. It has been a week since I started treating my tank. 1 baby looked like he\she was infected. But she\he might have been from a dalmatian & I was not aware of it. Baby still swimming around, but a tank I had 2.5 gallons that I removed 3 other babies from, not so successful. 2 of the fry died 04/23. I'll be glad when the 36G is normal. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom