Power heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevinalewis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if anyone has tried the cheap powerheads off eBay? There designed like the hydor koraline brand ones except instead of attaching with a magnet they attach by suction cups. Dishy know if they were worth buying? Thanks

A suction cup power head doesn't sound like a high quality product.

Like most of us, there are budgets we try to keep. Buy a used hydor before you buy a suction cup power head. Sometimes buying cheap cost more because you have to replace it.

Just dont buy used heaters, they cause the most problems.

Attached with suction cups means you will be reattaching them frequently after they have come lose and stirred up your sand etc.Definitely go only with the one's that attach with a magnet.

You can glue a magnet to the suction cup(s), or use a dab of superglue on the suction cup to make it a more permenant (but can come off if needed) solution, provided you know exactly where you want/need it.

How much flow u recommend for a 55 gal. Mostly mushrooms, soft, polyps, zoes. I have a 800 gph and a 400 gph koralia powerheads. Just doesn't seem to be enough.

Kevinalewis said:
How much flow u recommend for a 55 gal. Mostly mushrooms, soft, polyps, zoes. I have a 800 gph and a 400 gph koralia powerheads. Just doesn't seem to be enough.

I'd recommend anywhere between 1500-2000 gph. I have all the corals you listed, plus a bunch of SPS and I run around 2500 at peak times in my tank with no issue to any of the corals. The only coral that was ill-fated from too much flow was a bubble coral.

I had two 750's and it seemed to be good flow for my 54 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom