Power out! What to do!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so like many of the people on this thread who live on the east coast of the U.S and central America, as well as the Caribbean, will experience hurricane Irene in the near future. Even though when it may hit me, it won't be too severe, I am worried about what to do if my power does indeed go out.

I have a 10g set to 77 degrees. Moderately planted.

2 guppies.
6 ghost shrimp
1 mystery snail.

Thank you for your help.

What kind of filter do you have? Chances are - if your power goes out, so will your air conditioning, so you should have no trouble keeping your tank warm enough. :)

The real issue is filtration. Do you have a HOB filter? You may want to see if you can get a battery-powered air pump and an airstone to put in your tank.

Also a good idea to keep a cup near your tank and if the power goes out, just scoop water from the tank and manually pour it through the filter just to keep everything wet, because the bacteria will start to die if they dry out.

I have a Tetra WhisperPF10. I know, it's not very high tech. And I do in fact have an airstone in there as well.

Depending on your ambient temp in the area, you might need to scoop out a bit of water for cooler water from time to time during the day. With a tank that size, if it stays relatively cool, you can just scoop and put tank water to keep it cool. That and keep media in the filter wet but most hobs kinda will do that on their own (all mine atleast retain a small resivouir of watet when off). A battery powered fan could help with heat and oxy too

I'm in VA and was worried about the same thing. I ran to Walmart yesterday and picked up a $12 battery powered air pump. It's the type designed for keeping your bait and catch alive when you go fishing. If the power goes, I'm going to pull the bio-media out of my canister, stick it in the tank with the airstone under it to keep it oxygenated and also aerate the tank. Here's what I got-
Walmart.com: Frabill Portable Aerator: Fishing & Marine

eco23 said:
I'm in VA and was worried about the same thing. I ran to Walmart yesterday and picked up a $12 battery powered air pump. It's the type designed for keeping your bait and catch alive when you go fishing. If the power goes, I'm going to pull the bio-media out of my canister, stick it in the tank with the airstone under it to keep it oxygenated and also aerate the tank. Here's what I got-
Walmart.com: Frabill Portable Aerator: Fishing & Marine

Wow, really good idea Eco; however, I am 16. And cannot get to my local walmart/LFS/whatever. -_-

Back
Top Bottom