Power outage--Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
My power just went down and my question is.....how long do I have before I need to start really worrying about the tank?

It's a 75 g with a 30 sump and I just doesd chemi-clean Monday nite! Really worried.

To keep it oxigenated keep the water moving by dunking a jug in the tank and pouring back in but let the water fall a few feet. Keep an eye on the temp but i dont know how to help with that

I'm very new to fish keeping and can only go of what the shop I purchased my kit from said. My tank is 100 litres and they told me I wouldn't have a problem unless the power was off for 8 hrs. I'd just try to keep the tank insulated by building towels round it... Can you keep the ambient temp up with a coal fire ? As I say I can only go off what I've been told, don't know I'd it's true or not. I'm interested if anyone has any good ideas though.

We had a hurricane hit hard a few years back, I ended up borrowing a generator by the third day. But before that I was using my 12 volt power inverter to run the power heads. Works for me however it was hot outside and inside my house, so I did not need a heater. Some times Walmart sells them, good luck with whatever you do.

Ps academy has battery operated air pumps for 5gal buckets for the bait fish u bring with you, you could get some and run them for oxygen

Just keep the water agitated by stirring and you should be ok. The temp. shouldn't matter because of the warmer outside temps.

Make sure none of your filter media dries out if u happen to have an HOB filter. If you have a canister filter, you might wanna dump out the water that's been sitting in it when the power comes back, I read something a while back about the bacteria breaking things down in a way that produces something bad.. I know that's so vague it sounds silly, but it couldn't hurt. Be sure to keep it especially oxygenated if you have plants or an overstocked tank or if the water gets very hot. All factors that require more oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom