Preventing cracks in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thewarning

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Last year I was cycling a 36 g Aqueon bow tank for around 4-5 weeks. It was level, had the right amount of gravel, and set up correctly. I came home after a 4-hour event and all the water was drained from it and on my floor. A small crack developed on the bottom. It was very upsetting, but thankfully I didn't have any fish in it! I got a free replacement (same kind) a while back. My question concerns preventing possible future cracks. My idea was to spread a layer of Aquarium Silicone Sealant all over the bottom (both sides) of the glass. I'm thinking it would act as a preventative measure for possible cracks. Is this a good idea? Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

I've seen ppl use different mats or pads under the tanks as a cushion sort of. I had one 25g on an slightly uneven table and I bought one of those foam camping mats that you sleep on, cut it to size. That worked pretty good and was cheap

I use the insulation board for homes, to set the tank on, this will even out any stress points on the surface the tank is on, it's Styrofoam..

This too late, but for future reference, consider an acrylic tank. More expensive but very durable and a lot lighter weight. I have 20 tanks, some for 30 years, never one crack.

Back
Top Bottom