Preventive question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MiamiFishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
If you have read a previous posting from me, you'll know that I'm going to a fishless cycle in a new 29 gal.
So far I had a question about why my nitrite and nitrate where soo high, 10 ppm for nitri and 200 ppm for nitrate. It might be for what I was told in a reply that my ammonia levels has been kept below 5ppm.

Yet now I have a preventive question, my tanks seem to slowly drift from a neutral pH of 7.2 to the extreme 6.2 acidic level. I most of the time don't have a buffer zone, since my KH is kinda always low!...
After my new 29 gal has finished its cycling, what should I do to get this results:
1- keep a good buffer zone ( what that number should be, and how do I get it there and keep it there??)
2- If after the cycle is finish, the PWC should stablalized the pH hopefully at a 6.8-7.2 level. If not, and I end up with a pH level of 6.2, how to raise it to the neutral 7.2 and how to keep it there???

Thank you all in advance. :D

Water with little or no buffering capacity (KH), will experience a pH crash. There's excellent information on pH stability and how to control it in the Articles section. Should be required reading IMO.

Thank you BrianNY for that piece of information.... I might do that too!
But in the mid time, I would appreciate a more direct and expecific with personal experience answer... if I may.

Your welcome MiamiFishy. I'll try and answer what I think your question is. You see, it's not a matter of "might do that too". A stable pH is crucial to maintaining an aquarium. In order to maintain pH stability, if your KH is below 3, you need to buffer the water.

My preferred method is to add a handful of crushed coral to the filter media basket. This not only raises the KH gradually, but also the pH. This should give you a stable pH in the 7-7.4 range for several months. When your KH readings begin to fall, simply replace the cc with new. HTH

Thank you both Malkore and again BrianNY.
The article was informative and it mention the crush coral, yet not the baking soda method.
That is why I like to seek answers on the forum, not only to get confirmation on readings or articles, but see what personal results people got trying a particular method.

Sometimes one method may work for me, but not for you. So we ask around. That's what makes forums instructive, constructive and allows for experiences to be shared. Smart **s replies don't need apply, even if an article is sitting under ones nose, a friendly constructive and informative answer, and perhaps a reference to the article in a friendly matter will make for long time allies and more happy fishes. IMHO

Anyways, thank you all, I'll try getting some coral at my LFS, if not some baking soda. I want to keep my new tank free, or at least away from the old mistakes made in the past.

And to all the other members using this forum, my apologies, this is a place to share and learn from each other's trial and error, don't let moments like this one change that idea. Ask questions and give answer, just remember, give only what you will want to receive too. Buona fortuna tutti.! :D

Back
Top Bottom