prime conditioner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roxannenees

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank and if I do a 20% water change how much prime do I use. It says for a 50 gallon to use 5ml. I understand with a 10 gallon to use 1 ml. But if I take 2 gallons out thats where I get confused. I am horrible at math, obviously. Could someone tell me . Thank you

Honestly I just put 1ml in 2gal to treat so I could top off my water today.

Imo you just need to meet the minimum amount for treatment, because once it's in the system it's diluted anyway.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

I believe it comes out to 3 drops a gallon. When I had small tanks and used 2 gallon buckets I used a medicine dropper

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unless you are making small batches by the gallon, just treat the whole tank during water changes.

Caleb

The little bottles of PRIME say to use 2 drops per gallon. I don't know why they don't print that on the larger bottles too? The good news is that you can dose up to 5 times the normal dose with no side effects on the fish ( as per the company website.) But this was what I did: I bought a small bottle of PRIME ( that has a dropper top) when it was on sale and just exchanged caps with the big bottle( 500 ML) I get when I used it all up. This way, I can drop all the drops I want or need to drop when I need to drop them. ;)
Hope this helps (y)

You can also use api stress guard which is relatively the same formula, but non concentrated and harmless to overdose

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can also use api stress guard which is relatively the same formula, but non concentrated and harmless to overdose

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Prime can be overdosed up to x5 normal amount I believe with no abnormal effects.

Caleb

The cap on my prime has rings on the inside you can use to measure by. I change about 1/3 of my water at a time and treat what i guess to be about 2/3 of the tank to be sure I get enough. I mix the prime in a quart of water to dilute some before adding to the tank

Should we be treating for the entire tank volume or just the water being changed? It seems like there are two sides to this story.
Personally I have always just treated for the volume of water I am changing , I have always done it this way and never seems to be an issue.

For a smaller tank ( 10 gallon ) I would syphon out lets say 5 gallons then fill the bucket and treat the water , wait a few minutes and then pour it back in to tank to refill it.

For my 90 gallon I syphon out lets say 45 gallons then take about a quart of water and add my treatment to it, then add a small amount of that treated water , start filling through water changer and as the tank fills I add a little of the treated water at a time until tank is full.

Is there a better way or a proper way other than what I have been doing. Never had any casualties this way.

All you have to do with prime, is just add the dose straight to the tank and pouring water. Never had any deaths or anything out of normal.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As far as i know, its not imperative to use it a certain way. As it has instantaneous effect. I, and many friends, have used prime in every way described here. None of these ways is wrong. While it says up to 5 times the normal dosage is ok, ive seen it used, and have used it in heavier doses in cases of emergencies without ill effect. I personally use a 55gl rain barrel and keep heated prime treated water in it so theres no worry of how much and when. Before i had room for this, i used the standard 5gl jugs. I would change water on a tank. Refill jugs roght after im done and prime them. This allows them to age between WC's and leaves you worry free abt dosing for the next scheduled maintenance.

Prime Rocks. I want stock in it. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All you have to do with prime, is just add the dose straight to the tank and pouring water. Never had any deaths or anything out of normal.

I have always either diluted or mixed in a bucket for smaller batch. Been doing this for over 40 years. Might not be necessary but never thought it could be a bad thing in any way.

When I fertilize my plants with flourish I just dump it in and my angels think it is food , as soon as it hits the water they are trying to eat it , not sure why I do not dilute this but I do my dechlorinator. Something else to maybe dilute

As far as i know, its not imperative to use it a certain way. As it has instantaneous effect. I, and many friends, have used prime in every way described here. None of these ways is wrong. While it says up to 5 times the normal dosage is ok, ive seen it used, and have used it in heavier doses in cases of emergencies without ill effect. I personally use a 55gl rain barrel and keep heated prime treated water in it so theres no worry of how much and when. Before i had room for this, i used the standard 5gl jugs. I would change water on a tank. Refill jugs roght after im done and prime them. This allows them to age between WC's and leaves you worry free abt dosing for the next scheduled maintenance.

Prime Rocks. I want stock in it. Lol

So then you only dose the actual water being changed and not entire tank volume as well , it has worked for me for years so not going to change it now unless there is a absolute need to do so.

Stock in it , figured you were already a share-holder

Off topic: ( and I should see a package today i'll let you know later)

Think abt it this way. Prime is used when bagging/selling/shipping fish. It gets put straight in the bag. No harm.

I have always either diluted or mixed in a bucket for smaller batch. Been doing this for over 40 years. Might not be necessary but never thought it could be a bad thing in any way.

When I fertilize my plants with flourish I just dump it in and my angels think it is food , as soon as it hits the water they are trying to eat it , not sure why I do not dilute this but I do my dechlorinator. Something else to maybe dilute

With ferts, if you have an HOB filter, just dump the ferts into the outflow slowly, and it will disperse and dilute as you would say.

With ferts, if you have an HOB filter, just dump the ferts into the outflow slowly, and it will disperse and dilute as you would say.

Canisters, think I will just start mixing it and then adding , more to do.:facepalm:

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Back
Top Bottom