proper dosage for fishless cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just recently decided to take back the Marineland 5 gallon hex I purchased; I didn't like that I had to completely disassemble the hood in order to do anything in the tank. I used the opportunity to upgrade, and grabbed a 10 gallon Aqueon kit.

I had another problem when I was going to start fishless cycling the 5 gallon hex of determining the proper dosage of ammonia. I have the janitor strength Ace hardware bottle, at suggestion from this board. The problem is, I didn't know how much to put in the tank, so I put in less than a cap full in. Needless to say, I ended up recreating the surface of Venus in my tank. :lol:

I would like to avoid doing the same thing this time around in my 10 gallon. Is there a general rule of thumb when dosing your tank with ammonia? Is two drops too little, or 5 ml too much? Would it be one drop per gallon, or one drop per five gallons?

I have to believe by now that someone who has used the Ace ammonia to dose enough tanks has a general idea of how much is enough.

First let us know the concentration of the ammonia from ACE?, normally comes at 10% concentration.

1 gallon (US) = 3.79 liters. So if your tank is 10G then your tank equals to 37.9 liters.

To have 1 ppm of ammonia in 1 liter (1,000 ml) of water you should add 0.001 milliliters, in other words 0.001 ml of ammonia / 1,000 ml o water = 1 ppm

But because the ACE ammonia is 10% concentration, you will need to add 0.01ml of ACE to 1 liter of water to equal 1 ppm of pure ammonia.

Now if you want 1 ppm of pure ammonia in your tank (37.9 litters) then you need to add 0.01 ACE * 37.9 liters = 0.379 milliliters, this will give you 1 ppm of pure ammonia.

Now you are shooting for 4 ppm in the tank, so 0.379 ml* 4 = 1.51 ml of ACE to get 4 ppm of pure ammonia in your 10G tank.

Cool no?

All depends of the concentration of your ACE ammonia.

Hope I was clear and helps.

Good luck!

It doesn't take much. Just add a couple of drops and test your water. If you get any reading at all it is enough. If it doesn't show up on your test add a couple more and test again.

Back
Top Bottom