putting a coral in freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nilesh7318

Aquarium Advice Regular
a friend of mine had given me a coral from his tank. this coral is an original one which he got from his relative. so my question here is can i use this coral in my freshwater tank. what will be the consequences of using it. i have introduced it into my tank and here is a photo. can i continue using it or shall i remove it from my tank.

Attachments

• 20130919_204831 2.jpg
    20130919_204831 2.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 79
I'm not totally sure but from what I've read I wouldn't do it. At the very least it'll raise the hardness/PH of your water. Also as the coral dies off it can release other things into the water which can raise things like ammonia, etc. At the very least, you could throw it into a large bucket or something with some dechlorinated fresh water and test the water daily for a while, see what it does. But personally I wouldn't try it.

Looks like just the coral skeleton (nothing left of the flesh)- I think it will be fine because the fish you're keeping like harder water anyway.

Back
Top Bottom