QT tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I really need to try and find a used 5-10g tank that I can use as a QT tank for my new 29g tank. When I bring a new set of fish home I will want to QT them for a couple of weeks and nothing I have here is big enough, I don't think. 2.5g is the max I have and one of my female bettas is in it. So, I am going to go look for a used 5-10g tank today for the purpose of it being a QT tank. Now, my question is this.... I could cycle it pretty darned quick because I have extra sponge filters in two of my tanks that I could put in the 10g and also other caves and such that I could add to it that have the bacteria on it. So, once I get it set up and start adding ammonia to it do I keep adding ammonia to it once it has cycled until I put new fish in it? And....once it has cycled how much ammonia do I add daily until I do add the new fish? I hope this question makes sense.....

Personally I'd leave the extra sponge filter in the other tank until needed for QT. That way you don't have to maintain the QT and won't get as tempted to turn it into a regular aquarium.

Personally I'd leave the extra sponge filter in the other tank until needed for QT. That way you don't have to maintain the QT and won't get as tempted to turn it into a regular aquarium.

So, what exactly would you put in a QT tank so it is ready whenever you bring fish home to QT so you don't have to cycle the tank with them?

Just the filter that's already been established in the other aquarium. It should be well seeded with beneficial bacteria. When starting with a filter that's been run in another aquarium for an extended period of time there is generally little to no cycle. This is how most aquarist set up their new aquariums after they've got the first one established. As long as you're adding just a few fish, the established filter should be more than enough.

I really need to try and find a used 5-10g tank that I can use as a QT tank for my new 29g tank. When I bring a new set of fish home I will want to QT them for a couple of weeks and nothing I have here is big enough, I don't think.

Quarantine should be over a 4 week minimum.

2.5g is the max I have and one of my female bettas is in it. So, I am going to go look for a used 5-10g tank today for the purpose of it being a QT tank. Now, my question is this.... I could cycle it pretty darned quick because I have extra sponge filters in two of my tanks that I could put in the 10g and also other caves and such that I could add to it that have the bacteria on it.
A sponge filter alone, depending on size, should be sufficient to start and maintain a cycle if the bacteria is already present in a 10g. I would just use pvc, which is inert, over plastic caves <--I assume this is what you were referring to.

So, once I get it set up and start adding ammonia to it do I keep adding ammonia to it once it has cycled until I put new fish in it? And....once it has cycled how much ammonia do I add daily until I do add the new fish? I hope this question makes sense.....
If you are cycling with your own bacteria then you shouldn't need anything more to begin a cycle; however, you can use Ammonia or food to jump start a more rapid pace. Once the cycle has completed and you add fish for qt they will continue to keep the bacteria populations from crashing. Once cycled and fish have been transferred to their main display, 2 drops/10g of Ammonia can be added daily or every other day depending on how high your Ammonia tests.

Once cycled and fish have been transferred to their main display, 2 drops/10g of Ammonia can be added daily or every other day depending on how high your Ammonia tests.

Thanks Innovator, this was also a question I was wondering and had never really gotten an answer to, I don't believe. Thanks again! :)

Well, I ended up getting a used 5g hexagon with a biofilter wheel system with hood and light from my lfs for $30.00. I was fine with that. I thought it would work well for just a QT tank and it fits the spot where I had to put it better than a 10g would have. All's well that ends well. ;)

Glad everything worked out for you. Gave me a few ideas as to what to do with my 10g i have sitting in here.. i just hope i dont do like a few of you said and turn it into another aquarium lol

Glad everything worked out for you. Gave me a few ideas as to what to do with my 10g i have sitting in here.. i just hope i dont do like a few of you said and turn it into another aquarium lol

Yeah, unfortunately, that does become a problem. I have tanks with SOMETHING in them all over my house. I have two 10g tanks (one with fish, one with shrimp), one 10g with two firebellied toads, and one 10g with two hermit crabs, my new 29g with plants, but no fish yet, and my 5g QT tank, which I am seriously thinking of turning into a betta home after my QT tank has served it's purpose..... I won't mention the other smaller tanks for the bettas all over the house.

Hi, I'm Dottie, and I have MTS.....:silly:

Back
Top Bottom