Question about fighting percula clowns? Will adding more clowns or another BTA help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bodie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had two percula clowns in my 55 gallon reef tank for about 4 months now. One is approximately 2 inches long and the other was a little over an inch, but seems to have grown to 1 1/2 inches. They got along great for the first month, followed each other everywhere, and slept together. There had always been a bulb tip anemone (BTA) in the tank, but they didn't go near it until about two months ago. The large clown now spends time and sleeps in the BTA.

A couple of months ago the large clown started picking on the smaller one. The small clown hasn't been injured and tries to defend itself, but the large one is relentless. They are okay when they are on opposite ends of the tank, but the large one will go after the smaller one whenever he sees him. The large one also seems to hate it when you look at the small one and this seems to provoke him into attacking him. Almost as if its jealous that you're paying attention to the small one.

Will adding two more small percula clowns help the situation? Or would adding another BTA help?

I'm just a bit puzzled since they got along so well for the first month...It's weird, the big one's hatred of the little one doesn't appear to be territorial or related to the BTA, but I don't know for sure...

It sounds as if the larger (now probably female) is asserting her dominance over the male. It sounds like normal behavior. They should figure out their identities and hopefully be back together soon. I wouldn't add more clowns.

Okay, I hate watching them fight, but I will sit back and let nature take its course. Any idea on approximately how long it takes for them to settle down?

BTW there is no guarantee that adding an anenome that they will host it. Mine totally ignored the anenome to host other corals. Ended up getting rid of it. Good luck on the clowns

Back
Top Bottom