Question about Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QueenKiara

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone! :flowers:

I'm 17 days into a fishless cycle right now, and I have a question. For some background, on the first day I dosed the tank to 4ppm of ammonia. The ammonia started going down 6 days later, and I started to see nitrites then. Once the ammonia hit .25ppm, on day 10, I dosed it back up to 2ppm. The next day, it was back down to .25ppm, and I dosed it to 2ppm again. At this point, nitrites were very high. It went to zero the next day, and I continued with this, consistently seeing 0ppm of ammonia every day for 3 days until a couple days ago, when I saw that the tank still had .25ppm left in it after 24 hours. I dosed it up to 2ppm like normal, and then it had .5ppm left the next day, which was yesterday. I dosed it to 1.5ppm this time, and now today I have 1ppm of ammonia left in my tank, and .25 nitrites.

I'm very excited about the low nitrites; however, I think the ammonia not being converted has something to do with it. Why am I suddenly converting less and less ammonia every day? I'm a little lost. Thanks in advance! :huh:

I just tested my pH, which was 7.4-7.8 a few days ago, and it's crashed to lower than 6.0. What reason would this have for happening?

Edit--

I did a 60% water change and my pH is back up to 7.4, hopefully that'll get my cycle back in order as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom