Question about my 10g fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasmainia300

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yo, so I'm starting up a 10g planted tank and doing a fishless cycle on it. I'm using Dr. Tims one and only in hopes of speeding up the cycle and using Dr Tims Ammonium Chloride to feed the bacteria. I followed the dosing instructions on the bottle which should have brought the tank to 2ppm ammonia, but the total would have been a tiny bit higher because my tap measures .25ppm.

I use an API freshwater master kit to test btw.

So today is the 6th day of the cycle and on the 4th day I started seeing Nitrites. The weird thing is, ever since I dosed with ammonia, my test kit has shown 2ppm, even though I started seeing nitrites. I HAVE NOT re-dosed ammonia since the first day.

DAY4 I measured 2ppm ammonia, and .25 nitrites.

DAY5 I measured 2ppm ammonia and .50 nitrites.

DAY6 2ppm ammonia, 1ppm nitrites...

So is this normal? Will I see that much of a nitrite spike without seeing a drop in ammonia? Thanks in advance for any help.

I had similar result with my 10 gallon, but as long as you have ammonia to feed the cycle I think you're ok. Maybe someone else can add some additional information.

I had similar result with my 10 gallon, but as long as you have ammonia to feed the cycle I think you're ok. Maybe someone else can add some additional information.

Okay I hope so. Does anyone here know the actual ratio of nitrites produced to ammonia absorbed? Would be an interesting thing to know :huh:

Back
Top Bottom