Question on Aquarium Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaked1123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello guys! :D

I've been keeping fish for 4 years and just recently got my first mega tank at 210 gallons! I made the mistake of not looking further into just how much a Fluval FX4 canister really does filtrate. I was running just the FX4 since it's rated for 250 gallons, but quickly realized from other hobbyists it wouldn't be enough.

Currently, the tank now has the FX4, an established Emperor 400 HOB filter from an old tank, and an AquaClear 110 HOB filter. Making 3 filters in total.

The filters are rated for 250, 75, and 100 gallons respectively. The tank is heavily planted and will home mixed schooling fish and angelfish.

Does this seem like it's filtrated enough? Also, on the side, how would I know if the canister filter wasn't operating efficiently? It's so quiet and hard to tell if things are going good, haha. (First canister filter)

Thanks for your help! :dance:

Hello guys! :D

I've been keeping fish for 4 years and just recently got my first mega tank at 210 gallons! I made the mistake of not looking further into just how much a Fluval FX4 canister really does filtrate. I was running just the FX4 since it's rated for 250 gallons, but quickly realized from other hobbyists it wouldn't be enough.

Currently, the tank now has the FX4, an established Emperor 400 HOB filter from an old tank, and an AquaClear 110 HOB filter. Making 3 filters in total.

The filters are rated for 250, 75, and 100 gallons respectively. The tank is heavily planted and will home mixed schooling fish and angelfish.

Does this seem like it's filtrated enough? Also, on the side, how would I know if the canister filter wasn't operating efficiently? It's so quiet and hard to tell if things are going good, haha. (First canister filter)

Thanks for your help! :dance:
It's not about how many filters you have but how much water the filters are filtering.
If your fish selection are basically smaller fish, filtration rate should be 3-4 times of tank volume per hour. If your fish are on the larger size or heavy " crap machines", you'll want a turnover rate of at least 5 times per hour.

As for how to tell if your canister filter is working properly, you can add a flow rate gauge in the return line for you to monitor or you have to periodically check the outflow between cleanings so that you know if the filter is so clogged that it's reducing the flow.

Ok thanks! Looks like the total GPH is about 1350 GPH. If that's accurate, should be good I think!

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom