Questions about tri-sulfa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minyip

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I've just added some tri-sulfa to my betta tank. Am I supposed to take it out at some point like through a water change or carbon filter? How long do I leave it in for? It didn't mention anything on the container, so I'm not sure.

Also I took my mystery snail out as I wasn't sure if the tri-sulfa would hurt him or not, so how do I make the tank safe for him again? Or is tri-sulfa fine for snails?

Hi,
I've just added some tri-sulfa to my betta tank. Am I supposed to take it out at some point like through a water change or carbon filter? How long do I leave it in for? It didn't mention anything on the container, so I'm not sure.

Also I took my mystery snail out as I wasn't sure if the tri-sulfa would hurt him or not, so how do I make the tank safe for him again? Or is tri-sulfa fine for snails?

If your package says it contains these sulfa drugs (Sulfamerazine, Sulfamethazine, Sulfathiazole) then the typical dosage is : DOSAGE: 250 mg per 10 gallons every 48 hours (24 hours for severe issues) with a 25% water change before each treatment. Treat for a minimum of 10 days.

In theory, they should not effect your snail but if you want to be 100% sure, leave the snail out of the tank until you have finished your treatment and have done a water change.

You should also know that Sulfa drugs are only really effective in High Ph waters. If you water's Ph is lower than 7.2, you would need to switch to another remedy.

Back
Top Bottom