Quick fishless cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moe55

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm working on my first fishless cycle and have a quick question. Tonight I just got my first nitrite readings and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to keep dosing the ammonia to keep it near 5 or if I'm supposed to let the ammonia naturally decrease as the nitrite increases. My current ammonia level is about 3ppm. Thanks for all your help. P.S. this is my first post.

Moe

Welcome! I beleive that you continue to dose the same amount of ammonia that you have been dosing. If you increase it then it will take longer for that part of the cycle to catch up, so just keep doing the same thing you have been doing and watch for the nitrite to peak and then fall to 0. :)

Thanks for your help. When my nitrites peak and fall to zero do I at that point also let my ammonia fall to zero? I guess what I'm asking is at what point do I stop dosing ammonia and just let it gravitate toward a zero reading? Thanks again.

Moe

Ammonia should zero out first, then nitrite with rising nitrate. Once you have that, it's time for a 50% PWC and to start stocking slowly.

Welcome to AA btw! :)

Yes, you keep dosing your ammonia until it drops back to zero. Your nitrites will zero out and your nitrates will start to climb. A large water change and your set!

You could probably dose closer to 4ppm if you would like. I think that is about what everyone doses to. Welcome to the site!

Thanks for the support. I have been recording my levels all along and this morning I tested ammonia and found that it was at zero but my nitrites are at 1ppm and my nitrates are at 5ppm. Just yesterday I dosed the ammonia to about 5ppm and it fell to 0 in 24 hours. Not really sure where i am in my cycle, my nitrites have been steady at 1ppm for about a week, my ammonia had been pretty steady requiring redosing only about every 2-3 days but have fallen quickly in the last 24 hours. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

Moe

It sounds like you are in the home stretch to me. Keep up the regimen and testing. You'll be ready for fish in no time at all. :)

Back
Top Bottom